Senior lecturer in biomedical science with focus on cell and molecular biology
Ref REK 2021/114
About Malmö University
Malmö University is an innovative, urban and international institute of higher education, located in the centre of Malmö. We have around 1,800 employees and 24,000 students. Our research and education are characterised by the role we believe a university should play in an open society — to contribute to sustainability and equality in a scientifically grounded way with external partners and stakeholders. Identifying and addressing the challenges of the future are of highest priority. Our researchers and students work collaboratively to create, share and spread knowledge in order to understand, explain and develop society — both locally and globally. Identifying and addressing the challenges of the future are of highest priority.
The Department of Biomedical Science at Faculty of Health and Society (www.mau.se/hs) offers a programme leading to a professional qualification as Biomedical laboratory scientist (first cycle, 180 credits), and a Masters' programme, Biomedical Surface Science (second cycle, 120 credits), as well as first and second cycle freestanding courses. The Department negotiates the multifaceted intersection between biology, chemistry, medicine, physics, and technology and the interdisciplinary approach to research and education aims to further develop the theoretical and practical understanding of the complex subject matter. Drawing on the balance between basic and applied research, the Department has been successful in attracting funding from regional, national, and international research funding bodies. In addition, in the pursuit of possible applications, several industry funded contract research projects are currently running at the Department.
The research at the Department is also linked to our research center “Biofilms - Research Center for Biointerfaces” (www.mau.se/brcb), which combines biomedical science with clinical and translational research in medical, dental, food and environmental application areas in close collaboration with regional industry.
The Department of Biomedical Science is now seeking a Senior Lecturer in biomedical science with focus on cell and molecular biology. The main criteria for employment is a strong commitment to teaching and research, as well as the condition that the candidate can contribute long term to the development of the department.
The successful candidate will be able to act as an expert for a part of the subject cell and molecular biology, to teach undergraduate and graduate students, and to supervise post-graduate students. In particular, he/she must be qualified to teach from day one in several courses at our biomedical laboratory science program (basic level, in Swedish) and in corresponding courses at our biomedical surface science program (advanced level, in English). Moreover, a documented ability to plan, implement and evaluate teaching, supervision and examination at the undergraduate level is a merit. Active participation in the development of different types of courses and teaching methods is also a merit.
The successful candidate must conduct research in cell and molecular biology with clinical relevance that also carries a strong potential to further integrate the education provided through the biomedical laboratory science program and the joint research environment at the department. Demonstrated experience in molecular biological methods for addressing issues in this domain is a requirement and good understanding of the Swedish healthcare system is a merit. Previous experience from research collaboration with industry and public sector is also a merit. Assessment of scientific proficiency will focus on the quality and originality of independent research in cellular and molecular biology, and the timeliness of these research achievements. It will also include an assessment of the ability to initiate, plan and manage research and PhD-level education where emphasis is placed on scientific work published in internationally prestigious journals and the ability to obtain research funding.
Duties can also include administrative tasks within the department and the faculty. The successful candidate should preferably be able to demonstrate administrative skills including a proven ability to lead and develop organization activities and personnel, a proven ability to initiate, plan and manage research research, a proven ability to plan, implement and take responsibility for undergraduate education and a proven ability to interact with the wider community.
Those qualified for appointment as a senior lecturer are, except in disciplines in the fine, applied or performing arts, a person who has demonstrated teaching expertise and been awarded a PhD or has the corresponding research competence or some other professional expertise that is of value in view of the subject matter of the post and the duties that it will involve (Chapter 4, Section 4 of the Higher Education Ordinance).
A teacher at Malmö University is expected to have university teacher training corresponding to at least 15 credits, or corresponding formal university teacher training, which is determined through validation. New staff members lacking this training must, within the scope of their appointment, commence such training within one year of assuming their position.
Specific requirements for this position:
- a strong commitment to teaching and research, as well as the potential to contribute long term to the development of the department
- a high level of proficiency to teach, research and communicate in both Swedish and English
- qualifications to teach from day one in several courses at our biomedical laboratory science program (basic level, in Swedish) and in corresponding courses at our biomedical surface science program (advanced level, in English)
- established research in cell and molecular biology with clinical relevance that also carries a strong potential to further integrate the education provided through the biomedical laboratory science program in the joint research environment at the department
- acquired a Swedish ‘Docent’ title , or the equivalent and validated competences
The following would be of benefit for the position:
- licenced biomedical laboratory scientist is a strong merit for employment
- good knowledge and solid experience from both cell- and molecular biology, and immunology, both practically hands on and theoretically, are highly valued merits
- knowledge in histology and morphology, as well as experience from working with advanced ex vivo cell- and tissue models are further merits
- international research experience, scientific work published in internationally prestigious journals and proof of the ability to obtain significant research funding are further important merits
- a good “methods overview” and understanding is a further strong merit as both PCR, flow cytometry, protein detection, microscopy, and other immunology and cell-based methods are frequently used in the biomedical laboratory science education.
- documented competence in research-based teaching and experience from teaching and working in an online, blended environment are also good merits
All invoked qualifications and skills must be accompanied with supportive documentation.
In addition to formal competence, University's employees must possess the personal capacities necessary to perform the duties of the position well and to represent the University in the best possible way.
The assessment criteria for appointment as senior lecturer shall be the degree of expertise required as qualification for employment. Pedagogical/teaching and scientific/research qualifications and merits carry equal weight in the assessment. Each higher education institution determines itself what assessment criteria are otherwise to apply to the appointment of a senior lecturer. (Chapter 4, Section 4 of the Higher Education Ordinance).
A senior lecturer must be established within their scientific field, taking into account the nature and tradition of the subject specialisation.
A senior lecturer must demonstrate:
- Documented competence in the field
- Documented ability to communicate and collaborate with actors in other parts of society with a clear connection to education and research
Teaching expertise relates to:
- Documented ability to carry out and lead education using various teaching methods within higher education
- Documented experience in pedagogical development work and a reflective presentation of their own pedagogical outlook and practices
- Documented ability to link research and education with regards to both content and teaching
Scientific proficiency relates to:
- Documented ability to independently conduct research of a high quality
- Research within fields relevant to the appointment in question
- Active participation in the scientific community
For general questions regarding employment at Malmö university, contact:
Ms. Jill Moberger (HR-specialist) +46 (0)40 6657840, email@example.com
In our recruitment work, Malmö University has taken a stand regarding recruitment channels and marketing. We therefore decline all offers of advertising and recruitment assistance in connection with this advertisement.
You can read more about the benefits of working in Sweden here: https://sweden.se/collection/working-in-sweden/
You apply for this position via Malmö University's recruitment system by clicking on the "Apply" button. As an applicant, you are responsible for ensuring that your application is completed in accordance with the job advertisement, and that it is submitted to the University no later than 2021.06.17. The application must be written in Swedish, English or any of the Nordic languages. As an applicant, you are responsible for the application and its appendices being translated.
The rules for appointment of teaching staff at Malmö University are regulated in the Appointment Rules at Malmö University.
Merits and qualifications must be documented according to Qualifications portfolio for lecturers/researchers at Malmö University
Books and any other documents, such as publications, that cannot be sent electronically should be sent in triplicate in an envelope marked with reference number REK 2021/114 and posted to the HR Department, Malmö University, 205 06 Malmö. If the documents weigh more than 2 kg, they should be sent to the delivery address: HR Department, Malmö University, Matrosgatan 1, 211 18 Malmö, marked with reference number REK 2021/114.
According to Malmö University’s qualifications portfolio, the application must include:
- Documentation of research expertise
- Documentation of teaching expertise
- Documentation of expertise in engagement with wider society
- Documentation of leadership and administrative expertise
The application must also include:
- Personal qualifications portfolio (personal data, employment history as well as competencies and skills)
- Copies of degree certificates and other relevant certificates
- A brief account of research, teaching and other activities relevant to the position to which the application pertains, including a description of how the applicant envisions their future research and teaching
- The primary scientific and educational work to be considered (maximum five of each)
Full-time position, employed until further notice.
Malmö University is a workplace and higher education institution that is characterised by an open and inclusive approach, where gender equality and equal terms add value to our activities.
Malmö University applies individual salary setting.
As soon as possible
We are looking forward to receiving your application!
Du ansöker senast 2021-06-17 genom att klicka på knappen nedan.