Associate Senior Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in computer science
Ref REK 2020/279
About Malmö University
Malmö University is an innovative, urban and international institute of higher education, located in the centre of Malmö. We have around 1,800 employees and 24,000 students. Our research and education are characterised by the role we believe a university should play in an open society — to contribute to sustainability and equality in a scientifically grounded way with external partners and stakeholders. Identifying and addressing the challenges of the future are of highest priority. Our researchers and students work collaboratively to create, share and spread knowledge in order to understand, explain and develop society — both locally and globally.
The Faculty of Technology and Society, TS, conducts education and research with a focus on technology and natural sciences, in close collaboration with industry and other social actors and higher education institutions. The two departments at the faculty are: Computer Science and Media Technology and Materials Science and Applied Mathematics.
The Department of Computer Science and Media Technology provides research-linked courses and study programmes at first-cycle and second-cycle level. The department conducts research in: Computer science, Information Systems, Software Engineering and Media and Communication Technology. Education and research are conducted in close collaboration with parties from both the private and public sectors.
This position concerns interdisciplinary research aiming at making agent-based social simulation a trustworthy and powerful tool for supporting societal decision makers and analysts. The work will include e.g. the development of sophisticated models of human behavior that take into account the actual diversity of populations, as well as, how ensembles of simulation models can be designed to achieve increased robustness, precision, and/or scalability. Application areas that will be considered, include e.g. public health and city planning, and will involve collaboration with social scientists as well as societal stakeholders.
The research is a part of the Wallenberg AI, Autonomous Systems and Software Program on Humanities and Society (http://wasp-hs.org/) and will be carried out within the Internet of Things and People research center (http://mau.se/iotap). In addition to the research, it is expected that 20% of the position is devoted to teaching, mainly at the Department of Computer Science and Media Technology.
A person qualified for appointment as an Associate Senior Lecturer is a person who has been awarded a PhD or has the corresponding research expertise. Primary consideration should be given to a person who has been awarded a PhD or achieved the equivalent expertise within five years of the deadline for application for employment as an associate senior lecturer. However, a person who has been awarded a PhD or achieved the equivalent expertise at an earlier date may also be considered if there are exceptional circumstances. Exceptional circumstances are sick leave, parental leave or other similar circumstances.
Specific requirements for this position:
- PhD degree in Computer Science, or related area
- broad experience from applying agent-based simulation in different application areas, in particular areas of societal relevance, such as public health and safety, city planning, transport systems, and migration processes
- demonstrated ability to perform research on the systematic design and analysis of simulation experiments
- demonstrated ability to perform applied research together with external partners
The following would be of benefit for the position:
- proficiency in the Swedish language
- experience of supervision of thesis projects
- courses in teaching and learning in higher education
- demonstrated analytical and communication skills
In addition to formal competence, University's employees must possess the personal capacities necessary to perform the duties of the position well and to represent the University in the best possible way.
- The quality and focus of the doctoral thesis
- Documented proficiency in independently conducting research of a high quality
- Reflective presentation of their own pedagogical outlook and practices
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate with actors in other parts of society with a connection to education and research
Head of department, Bo Peterson, 040-6657619, email@example.com
Professor, Paul Davidsson, 040-6658618, firstname.lastname@example.org
HR-specialist, Sara Eriksson, 040-665 76 59, email@example.com
In our recruitment work, Malmö University has taken a stand regarding recruitment channels and marketing. We therefore decline all offers of advertising and recruitment assistance in connection with this advertisement.
You may apply for this position via Malmö University's recruitment system by clicking on the "Apply" button. As an applicant, you are responsible for ensuring that your application is completed in accordance with the advertisement, and that it is provided to the University no later than 2021-02-01. The applicant is responsible for ensuring that the University can read what is written in the application. If the application is not written in Swedish, English or any of the Nordic languages, the applicant is responsible for the application and its appendices being translated.
The educational qualifications may be documented with guidance from Qualifications portfolio for lecturers/researchers at Malmö University.
Books and any other documents, such as publications, that cannot be sent electronically should be sent in triplicate in an envelope marked with reference number REK 2020/279 and posted to the HR Department, Malmö University, 205 06 Malmö. If the documents weigh more than 2 kg, they should be sent to the delivery address: HR Department, Malmö University, Matrosgatan 1, 211 18 Malmö, marked with reference number REK 2020/279.
The application must include:
- Curriculum vitae
- Doctoral degree certificate
- Copies of other relevant certificates
- Educational letter of intent
- Upload a cover letter including a brief account of scientific, educational and other activities relevant to the position to which the application pertains, including a description of how the applicant envisions their future research and teaching.
- List of scientific and educational work
- The primary scientific and educational work being cited (maximum three of each)
This position as full-time Associate Senior Lecturer is, in accordance to the Higher Education Ordinance, limited for a period of five years, with the possibility of being promoted to a permanent position as senior lecturer if the requirements are met.
Promotion to Senior lecturer
An associate Senior Lecturer who is employed according to the rules in the Higher Education Ordinance must, on application, be promoted to senior lecturer at the higher education institution, if they
- is eligible for employment as a senior lecturer, and
- is assessed as suitable for such an appointment in accordance with the assessment criteria that the higher education institution has decided
Malmö University is a workplace and higher education institution that is characterised by an open and inclusive approach, where gender equality and equal terms add value to our activities.
Malmö University applies individual salary setting.
We are looking forward to receiving your application!
Du ansöker senast 2021-02-01 genom att klicka på knappen nedan.