Faculty of Landscape Architecture, Horticulture and Crop Production Science
Department of Biosystems and Technology
For information about the department, visit: https://www.slu.se/en/departments/biosystems-technology/
The subject area Technology and Digitalization for Animal and Plant Production includes research, innovation, teaching and collaboration regarding technical systems within both agriculture and horticulture. Above all, the interaction between animals, plants, environment and humans is studied in the context of environmental impacts and climate change in systems for a sustainable and economically competitive production.
The focus area Open-field crop production systems includes research and teaching within e.g. machinery and machinery technology for sustainable crop production in agriculture and horticulture, reducing inputs and losses, pretreatment of biomass for different purposes, and efficient harvest and logistics for reduced energy use and improved profitability. Within the subject area Technology and Digitalization for Animal and Plant Production, research is also conducted within systems analysis, digitalization, and buildings and building technology.
The senior lecturer will conduct research, teaching and external collaboration within Technology, with specialization in agricultural and open-field horticultural cropping systems. The senior lecturer will contribute to and develop the department’s teaching in this area, primarily within the Agricultural and Rural Management Bachelor’s programme and the Horticultural Management: Gardening and Horticultural Production Bachelor's programme, but also within the Agroecology Master’s programme and the Horticultural Science Masters programme.
The senior lecturer will develop research and teaching in collaboration with other researchers and teachers within Technology and closely related subjects at SLU. External collaboration with businesses and other actors in the knowledge system is an important part of the duties. It is expected that the senior lecturer will develop national and international networks and collaborations within academia and with authorities, business and the wider society, contributes to the strategic development of the department and the faculty, and actively applies for external research funding.
The teaching duties in the position correspond to approximately 50% of full time, with the remaining time being used for research and external collaboration.
The successful candidate shall:
• have a PhD degree in Technology or a corresponding subject area of relevance for the position
• have documented competence in the subject area of the position
• have completed training in pedagogics for teaching in higher education corresponding to about 10 weeks of studies, or have acquired the corresponding knowledge in some other way
• have demonstrated pedagogical skills in teaching at undergraduate and master level, including supervision of students at master level
• have shown to be scientifically proficient in the subject area of the position, shown capacity to receive external funding and published in journals of relevance for the subject area
• have good knowledge
Assessment criteria for appointment will primarily be based on the degree to which the applicant possesses the required qualifications specified for the position. Equal attention will be paid to the assessment of teaching proficiency and the assessment of scientific skills. Assessment of the pedagogic skills will be given a particular importance.
The assessment of pedagogic skills will consider:
• experience of planning and conducting teaching at first- and second-cycle levels
• experience of student supervision
• experience of using student-activating methods and teaching in outdoor or field-based settings
• ability to integrate research and a scientific approach in the pedagogic work
The candidate shall describe her/his pedagogic approach and pedagogic vision, and demonstrate how the pedagogic approach/vision has been implemented in previous work. Experience in modern teaching methodology, such as digital teaching methods and e-based learning is a merit.
The assessment of scientific skills will consider:
• completed and ongoing research activities
• ability to independently initiate, lead and conduct innovative research
• experience of applying for and obtaining external research funding
• experience of more than one research environment
• ability to apply a holistic view and relate the own research to sustainable development
Furthermore, the assessment will consider:
• documented practical experience in work with open-field crop production systems
• communication and collaboration skills
• experience of collaboration with the surrounding society
• experience of communication about ongoing research and development work
Final date for application:
Place of work:
Form of employment:
According to agreement
Use the document Application guidelines for appointment as professor, senior lecturer or
associate senior lecturer at SLU as guide when you fill in your application.
Please apply by clicking the apply-button below.
Academic union representatives:
URL to this pagehttps://www.slu.se/en/about-slu/jobs-vacancies/?rmpage=job&rmjob=2900&rmlang=UK