The vision of Norwegian People's Aid is Solidarity in Action. We are a politically independent membership-based organisation working in Norway and in more than 35 countries around the world. Founded in 1939 as the labour movement's humanitarian solidarity organisation, NPA aims to improve people's living conditions and to create societies that are more just and more democratic. NPA's international work covers three core areas: Humanitarian Disarmament, Democratisation and Just distribution of power and resources and Humanitarian Action and Crises Response.
NPA has been working in Cambodia since 1992. Within the field of Humanitarian Disarmament we work to protect civilians against explosive weapons before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by landmines and other explosive remnants of war.
In the programme area of Development and Humanitarian Cooperation, NPA works in partnership with local organisations in a two-way cooperation and sharing of complementary resources to achieve the mission of these organisations engaged in activities promoting mobilisation and progressive changes in the countries where we are present.
NPA now seeks a Country Director to lead and supervise our country programme in Cambodia. The Country Director is the senior representative of Norwegian People`s Aid in the country, and has the overall responsibility for all aspects of the programme, including operations, policy work, personnel, finance, logistics and donor relations. The office is located in Phnom Penh and covers all NPA programme areas in Cambodia. The programme has an annual turnover of USD 5,4 million and approximately 100 staff, expatriate and Cambodian.
All responsibilities, including overall planning and donor reporting have to be carried out in accordance with the strategic objectives, donor approved plans and corresponding deliverables in close collaboration with the two programme departments at NPA Head Office in Oslo.
To be succesfull in this role you must have:
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to achieve results through others
- Experience as a successful upper level manager in a complex international organisation with documented good results
- Previous experience in a multi-national environment
- Experience with implementing strategies, plans and achieving objectives in large organisations
- Demonstrated experience in supporting partnership through work with local partner organisations
- Understanding of different means for supporting organisational capacity strengthening
- Experience of using Monitoring and Evaluation systems to generate evidence for programmes
- Good political intuition and an understanding of political processes and ability to process sensitive information with discretion
- Relevant higher education
- Good communication, networking and interpersonal skills
- Ability and readiness to work under pressure and dealing with difficult and complex conditions
- Ability and willingness to work and live under difficult circumstances
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
- Experience in fundraising and donor relations
- Experience from the development sector
- Experience from humanitarian mine action
- Working experience from Cambodia or South East Asia
The Country Director is to abide by the policies and personal code of conduct set by the Norwegian People`s Aid and represent the organisation in a loyal and responsible manner.
In return we offer:
An interesting and challenging work environment and a competitive salary package which includes country specific allowances. You will be covered by our comprehensive insurance scheme. We offer five weeks annual holiday* plus one additional week off for expats. NPA provides three international flights home per contract year**. We offer a one year contract with the possibility of renewal.
In general we emphasise the importance of strong health. One of NPA`s overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organisation, and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
For more information about NPA, please see our website at https://www.npaid.org/Our-Work or visit us on Facebook or Twitter.
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
** Terms apply according to NPA`s internal regulations
Please apply online as instructed on this website. Due to capacity reasons we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal.
Nima Nemati Saeid
+47 943 32 553
Director, Development and Humanitarian Cooperation
Director Humanitarian Disarmament Department
92 84 72 23