The vision of Norwegian People's Aid is Solidarity in Action. We are a politically independent membership-based organisation working in Norway and in more than 30 countries around the world. Founded in 1939 as the labour movement’s humanitarian solidarity organisation, NPA aims to improve people’s living conditions and to create societies that are more just and more democratic. NPA’s international work covers three core areas: Mine Action and Disarmament, Democratisation and Just distribution of power and resources and Humanitarian Action and Crises response.
In order to take NPA’s safeguarding work forward we are looking for a Special Advisor with significant experience to lead the roll out and implementation of our Safeguarding Policy. The Special Advisor position will be NPA's main resource and global focal point within the area of safeguarding. The successful candidate will be part of the Human Resources department at Head Office in Oslo, but will work closely with all country programmes as well as Head Office staff to provide strategic advice and to support the development and implementation of the organization's global systems and frameworks for the prevention of and response to cases related to sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
We are looking for someone with extensive experience with safeguarding work, outstanding communications and analytical skills and a strong ability to build trust and relations. You will need to be comfortable taking command, and able to influence without having formal authority. It is important that you can present and convey sensitive messages in a tactful yet engaging manner, and that you have the ability to maintain a high level of professionalism and confidentiality at all times.
Personal suitability for the position will be a deciding factor.
Our new Special Advisor's responsibilities will include
- Leading the implementation of NPA's Safeguarding Policy
- Leading the development of strategy, tools and guidelines within the safeguarding area
- Providing strategic advice to Head Office and the country programs in all areas related to safeguarding
- Leading the development of Safeguarding SOPs on a national level
- Capacity building of local focal points, managers and other relevant personnel
- Awareness building and training at all levels in the organization
- Taking a leading and / or supporting role in investigation of reported cases
- Monitoring and evaluation of the safeguarding work within our organization and delivering regular analysis and reports
- When necessary, representing NPA in relevant forums nationally and internationally
To take on this role we are looking for a candidate with
- A Master's degree in a relevant field, preferably law with specialization in discrimination law, human rights or areas relevant to protection
- Minimum 5 years experience in a senior or specialist role related to prevention and response to cases related to PSEA and safeguarding, with a good understanding of all related areas
- Experience from working with awareness building and training in PSEA and safeguarding
- Experience with management and / or coordination of investigations of safeguarding cases or similar cases of a sensitive nature
- Experience with the use of reliable interview techniques in investigation of cases of a sensitive nature (administrative or criminal)
- Certification(s) related to investigation methodology and interview techniques relevant to the field is an advantage
- Insight into and understanding of the needs for security and protection of survivors and other persons related to such matters
- Experience with protection against sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse in development and humanitarian contexts in conflict areas
- Experience from programs related to gender-based violence and the protection of children and / or other vulnerable groups will be an advantage
- Solid language skills; English is a must, preferably also a Scandinavian language, and we consider it an advantage if you can communicate in additional languages such as Arabic, Spanish and/or French
- A full/clean driver's license will be an advantage
In addition to the experience we emphasize the need for good physical and mental health, excellent self-awareness and a good understanding of the need for self-care. You must be ready and able to travel to all NPA's program countries and you will need a medical «fit for duty» attestation from an NPA approved health service/doctor to take up the position.
In return NPA will offer an interesting and challenging work environment, and the opportunity to work with highly dedicated colleagues. The salary range is NOK 505.434 to 671.934, depending on relevant education and experience. You will also be covered by our comprehensive insurance scheme. We offer five weeks annual holiday* and flexible working hours. This is a permanent appointment, and the position is based at our Head Office centrally in Oslo, Norway.
For more information about NPA, please visit our website or look us up on Facebook or Twitter.
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
Closing date for applications is 29th October 2020
Please apply online as instructed on this website. Due to capacity reasons we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal.
Hans Eric Haug
Senior Advisor EHS