The vision of Norwegian People's Aid is Solidarity in Action. We are a politically independent membership-based organisation working in Norway and in more than 35 countries around the world. Founded in 1939 as the labour movement's humanitarian solidarity organisation, NPA aims to improve people's living conditions and to create societies that are more just and more democratic. NPA's international work covers three core areas: Mine Action and Disarmament, Democratisation and Just distribution of power and resources and Humanitarian Action and Crises Response.
Wars and armed conflicts come to an end; however, the remnants of war continue to terrorize millions of people for decades to follow. NPA Department of Mine Action and Disarmament works towards a world where people and communities are safe, resilient and protected before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by landmines and other explosive remnants of war. Currently NPA has 22 Mine Action and Disarmament Programmes ongoing in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Balkans and the Middle East.
Do you want to join our professional and committed global team in our mission to protect civilians from exposive weapons?
NPA is a lead organization in developing capacities of National Mine Action Authorities (NMAAs). We build upon the proven and successful experience of previous capacity development initiatives and projects, namely in Cambodia, Vietnam, Colombia, Angola, Somalia and Laos. NPA brings the experiences of previous capacity development initiatives and projects under a single framework to provide a coordinated, up-scaled and comprehensive package of capacity development support required by the relevant NMAAs at the national and sub-national levels.
NPA is part of the consortium with MAG and HALO Trust on a DFID grant where capacity development of SEMA (Somali Explosives Management Authority) is a core element. Under this consortium, NPA is lead organization for capacity development and is going to implement an integrated capacity development activity for SEMA.
In this position your main responsibilities will be:
The IM Advisor will be mainly based in Mogadishu, Somalia and will form part of the overall management team for NPA Mine Action Disarmament. Most specifically, the IM Advisor will be involved in all matters related to the capacity development of SEMA.
The main responsibility of the IM Advisor will be capacity development of SEMA staff to use IMSMA and other IM tools efficiently in order to continue their development of a functioning national database system to be used for planning and prioritizing. Specific duties of the IM Advisor include but are not limited to:
- Conduct IM capacity needs assessment of SEMA if required, on national and state levels, provide recommendations and report, as baseline for further work
- Develop and implement IM capacity development work plan based on the assessment report
- Assist and follow up with SEMA in the implementation of the IM work plan and training plan
- Develop capacity of SEMA IM staff by conducting relevant IM trainings, workshops and on the job training
- Review current and draft, in consultation with relevant stakeholders, an IM strategy, IM NMAS and IM SOP to be approved by SEMA
- Lead in identifying IM processes, IM procedures, process mapping and writing relevant guidelines
- Coordinate with and be focal point for stakeholders relevant for the project, most notably INGOs and LNGOs, on all matters related to IM/IMSMA, and ensure that professional relations are maintained
- Ensure all required hardware and software is in place in order for SEMA to conduct its mandated work in IM/IMSMA, and/or assess any needs not covered
- Ensure capacity development of SEMA staff is carried out in a manner that the IM unit remain sustainable and independent of technical assistance by end of the project
- In dialog with NPA’s Global IM Advisor, assist in implementation, monitoring and management, with emphasis on relevance, quality, cost efficiency and impact.
- Ensure the reliability of IM tools and concepts by maintaining their adaptive and user-friendly features, and ensure the information management standardization and uniformity in compliance
- Any other relevant duties as described by the Country Director
To be succesfull in this role you must have:
- A University or college degree that includes studies in computer science, IT or relevant working experience
- IMSMA level 1 administrator qualified or equivalent
- Experience of working with project management
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure and meet set deadlines
- Proficient in SharePoint, IMSMA NG, ArcGIS and other related tools
- Previous experience in working in advisory roles
- Verbal and written proficiency in English is a requirement
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
- A Master’s degree or equivalent in relevant studies
- IMSMA level 2 administrator qualified or equivalent
- Experience in working with National Authorities
- Previous experience with an NGO or UN agencies is preferred
- Experience from mine action and disarmament operations would be an advantage
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to cooperate and work in a multi-cultural/multi-national setting.
- Solid analytical, structured and innovative skills.
- Be adaptable, flexible, and able to work in a challenging security environment and under difficult circumstances.
- Ability to establish efficient professional working relationships with stakeholders, in particular national and provincial authorities, and other International NGOs
In return we offer:
An interesting, challenging work environment and a competitive salary package which includes country specific allowances. You will be covered by our comprehensive insurance scheme. We offer five weeks annual holiday* plus one additional week off for expats. NPA provides three international flights home per contract year**. We offer a 6 months contract with the possibility of renewal. Please note that salary and allowances are subject to income tax according to NPA’s Tax Policy.
In general we emphasize the importance of strong health. One of NPA's overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organization, and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
For more information about NPA, please see our website at https://www.npaid.org or visit us on Facebook or Twitter.
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
** Terms apply according to NPA’s internal regulations
Please apply online as instructed on this website. Due to capacity reasons we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal.
Desk Officer Africa
Global IM Advisor