The vision of Norwegian People's Aid is Solidarity in Action. We are a politically independent membership-based organisation working in Norway and in more than 35 countries around the world. Founded in 1939 as the labour movement's humanitarian solidarity organisation, NPA aims to improve people's living conditions and to create societies that are more just and more democratic. NPA's international work covers three core areas: Humanitarian Disarmament, Democratisation and Just distribution of power and resources and Humanitarian Action and Crises Response.
Norwegian People's Aid is seeking an additional Technical Field Manager for our humanitarian clearance operations in Lebanon
Wars and armed conflicts come to an end; however, the remnants of war continue to terrorize millions of people for decades to follow. Humanitarian Disarmament's vision is a world where people and communities are safe, resilient and protected before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by landmines and other explosive remnants of war. Currently NPA has more than 22 Humanitarian Disarmament Programmes ongoing in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Balkans and the Middle East.
Do you want to join our professional and committed global team in our mission to protect civilians from explosive weapons?
Norwegian People's Aid (NPA) Humanitarian Disarmament (HD) started its clearance operations in Lebanon in 2006 and is currently involved in non-technical survey, technical survey, clearance of cluster munitions and clearance of landmines in South Lebanon. In July 2018, NPA started up a new project in North East Lebanon addressing the IED problem left behind by ISIS and Al Nusra when they were removed from Lebanon in 2017. The teams compose of staff which are multi trained on all methodologies of land release and in 2018 Explosive Detection Dogs (EDDs) were introduced to support technical survey on cluster munition remnant Suspect Hazardous Areas (SHAs).
The NPA country office is located in Beirut and the NPA HD programme office is located in Tyre with a NPA HD field office in Ras Baalbek. The programme is currently employing over 100 staff, and receives funds from Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, European Union, Department of International Development UK, and United States Department of State.
In this position your main responsibilities will be:
- Personally conduct manual, semi-remote and remote IEDD techniques
- Fully responsible for the day-to-day operations in the field
- Assist and support the Operations Manager in planning and development and in ensuring an overall safe execution of all NPA technical activities within the country of operation
- Conduct search, identification and clearance of Improvised Explosive Devices (IED)
- Line Manage, motivate and develop the technical teams to perform to a high standard
- Ensure accurate and high quality reporting on all aspects of operations
- Support OM in maintaining and improving NPAs Standard Operational Procedures
- Daily field follow-up and monitoring of MRE, Impact Assessments, non-technical survey, technical survey and clearance operations of areas contaminated with cluster munitions, landmines and IEDs
- Liaise with all relevant stakeholders in the field
- Prepare monitoring reports on operational findings including lessons learnt and documented analysis and recommendations for improvement
To be successful in this role you must have:
- Minimum of 5 years of TFM or higher experience
- Relevant Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Level III, IMAS Standard
- Accreditation and/or certification in IEDD from an internationally recognized agency or school
- Thorough field experience in non-technical survey, technical survey and clearance operations of improvised explosive devices
- Documented ability to provide training and competency development of national staff
- Valid International driving permit
We are looking for candidates with the experience and ability to work independently, be proactive and make decisions as required. Good communication skills, cultural understanding, diplomacy and interpersonal skills is a prerequisite for being successful in this position.
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
Humanitarian mine action experience from the region. Experience in High Risk Search. Arabic language skills. Good knowledge and understanding of the Middle East and Lebanon's history and culture is an advantage.
In return we offer:
An interesting, challenging work environment in a well-developed programme and a competitive salary package which includes country specific allowances. Lebanon is a relatively safe and stable environment which permits free movement. You will be covered by our comprehensive insurance scheme. We offer five weeks annual holiday* plus one additional week off for expats. NPA provides three international flights home per contract year**. We offer a one year contract with the possibility of renewal.
In general we emphasize the importance of strong health, cross-cultural communication skills, positive attitude, creativity and the ability to work under pressure and difficult conditions. One of NPA's overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organization, and female candidates are encouraged to apply!
Please note that screening may take place continuously and the position may be filled before the application deadline.
For more information about NPA, please see our website at https://www.npaid.org/Our-Work/Humanitarian-Disarmament or visit us on Facebook or Twitter.
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
** Terms apply according to NPA's internal regulations
Please apply online as instructed on this website. Due to capacity reasons we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal.
Advisor Humanitarian Disarmament