The vision of Norwegian People's Aid is Solidarity in Action. We are a politically independent membership-based organisation working in Norway and in more than 35 countries around the world. Founded in 1939 as the labour movement's humanitarian solidarity organisation, NPA aims to improve people's living conditions and to create societies that are more just and more democratic. NPA's international work covers three core areas: Humanitarian Disarmament, Democratisation and Just distribution of power and resources and Humanitarian Action and Crises Response.
Norwegian People's Aid (NPA) is looking for an experienced leader with a good understanding of civil society's role and a passion to support its growth and development in South Sudan.
This position will give you the opportunity to improve people's living conditions and to create a more just society, undertaking practical supportive work and political advocacy. Through the Civil Society Development Programme (CSDP) your objective will be to promote active citizenship and strong communities in South Sudan through partnership with civil society organisations. This is your chance to make an impact and contribute to NPA's solidarity work in South Sudan!
In this position your main responsibilities will be:
- Be part of the senior management team for NPA South Sudan, contributing to the overall development of NPA South Sudan and synergies with other programmes
- Management of all personnel under the CSDP including the capacity building of staff
- Support the Country Director and management team with relevant context and political analysis, in particular in the sectors in which the programme is active.
- Establish, develop and strengthen framework of partnership with civil society organisations in line with NPA strategic objectives
- Ensure necessary capacity building of partners and oversee and guide the coordination of technical and financial assistance to partner organisations
- Ensure adequate procedures for partnership management, project management and follow-up, and integration of financial management
- Contribute to the overall internal controls of NPA South Sudan and ensure that findings in audit reports are implemented with lessons learned
- Ensure that the NPA South Sudan security and emergency preparedness plans are implemented and adhered to in CSDP
- Develop the funding basis for the programme by developing funding strategies, networking, concept papers, proposals and budgets in search of new funding as well as to maintain existing partnerships
- Day to day responsibility for the financial management of the programme
- Ensure that the programme adheres to NPA Anti-Corruption Policy
To be successful in this role you must have:
- Relevant advanced university degree
- At least 3 years' relevant experience and demonstrated success at senior level management in an INGO or non-profit organisation
- Previous experience in civil society engagement
- Demonstrated success in project designing, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Proven skills in budgeting, finance development and risk management
- Experience in fundraising and donor relations
Personal competencies we are looking for in our new PM:
- Strong managerial and leadership skills, with the ability to inspire and build competence of staff and achieve results through others
- Strong analytical skills
- Good team player with excellent collaboration skills
We are looking for someone with the experience and abililty to work independently, be proactive and make decisions as required. Good communication skills, cultural understanding, diplomacy and interpersonal skills is a prerequesite for being succesful in this position.
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
- Experience from South Sudan
- Arabic and/or other South Sudanese language skills
- Norwegian- or other Scandinavian language skills, both written and verbally
- Knowledge and understanding of Norwegian/Scandinavian politics, aid-policies and donors
In return we offer:
An interesting, challenging work environment and a competitive salary package which includes country specific allowances. You will be covered by our comprehensive insurance scheme. We offer five weeks annual holiday* plus one additional week off for expats. Our programme in South Sudan also has a R&R rotation system**. NPA provides three international flights home per contract year**. We offer a one year contract with the possibility of renewal.
Please note that if a South Sudanese national is hired for this position he/ she will be hired on a national employment contract and will follow national employee regulations.
In general we emphasize the importance of strong health. One of NPA's overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organization, and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
** Terms apply according to NPA's internal regulations
Please apply online as instructed on this website. Due to capacity reasons we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal.
Advisor South Sudan
+47 473 09 990