The vision of Norwegian People's Aid is Solidarity in Action. We are a politically independent membership-based organisation working in Norway and in more than 35 countries around the world. Founded in 1939 as the labour movement's humanitarian solidarity organisation, NPA aims to improve people's living conditions and to create societies that are more just and more democratic. NPA's international work covers three core areas: Humanitarian Disarmament, Democratisation and Just distribution of power and resources and Humanitarian Action and Crises Response.
Norwegian People's Aid is seeking a Technical Field Manager for humanitarian clearance operations in Democratic Republic of Congo
Wars and armed conflicts come to an end; however, the remnants of war continue to terrorize millions of people for decades to follow. Humanitarian Disarmament's vision is a world where people and communities are safe, resilient and protected before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by landmines and other explosive remnants of war. Currently NPA has more than 22 Humanitarian Disarmament Programmes ongoing in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Balkans and the Middle East.
Do you want to join our professional and committed global team in our mission to protect civilians from exposive weapons?
Norwegian People's Aid (NPA) started its work with mine action in Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) in 2011 and is currently involved in survey and clearance activities in South Ubangi province and arms management and destruction by assisting in the disposal of surplus ammunition.
The programme's head quarter is located in Kinshasa. The programme is currently employing 50 staff, and receives funds from Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Japan.
In this position your main responsibilities will be:
- Daily field follow-up and monitoring of survey and clearance operations of areas contaminated with landmines or other explosive remnants of war
- Liaise with all relevant stakeholders in the field
- Keep training record updated of all operations at the field level
- Prepare monitoring reports on operation findings including lessons learnt and documented analysis and recommendations for improvement
- Assist Operations Manager in the preparation of progress reports, case studies and other documents
- Assist Operations Manager in continued development and ensure relevant documentation is updated
To be succesfull in this role you must have:
- Relevant Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Level III qualifications or higher
- Recent field experience in conducting survey and clearance operations
- Documented ability to provide training and capacity development of national staff
- Operational management experience
- Basic French skills
- Driving License
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
Humanitarian mine action experience from the region. Experience with budget planning and donor reporting is an advantage. Knowledge and understanding of international treaties such as the Mine Ban Treaty and the Convention on Cluster Munitions. Cultural sensitivity and good knowledge and understanding of the DRC history and culture is an advantage.
In return we offer:
An interesting, challenging work environment and a competitive salary package which includes country specific allowances. You will be covered by our comprehensive insurance scheme. We offer five weeks annual holiday* plus one additional week off for expats. NPA provides three international flights home per contract year**. We offer a one year contract with the possibility of renewal.
In general we emphasize the importance of strong health. One of NPA's overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organization, and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please note that screening may take place continuously.
For more information about NPA, please see our website at https://www.npaid.org/Our-Work/Humanitarian-Disarmament or visit us on Facebook or Twitter.
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
** Terms apply according to NPA's internal regulations
Please apply online as instructed on this website. Due to capacity reasons we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal.
Desk Officer Africa
+ 47 905 03 390