The vision of Norwegian People's Aid is Solidarity in Action. We are a politically independent membership-based organisation working in Norway and in more than 35 countries around the world. Founded in 1939 as the labour movement's humanitarian solidarity organisation, NPA aims to improve people's living conditions and to create societies that are more just and more democratic. NPA's international work covers three core areas: Humanitarian Disarmament, Democratisation and Just distribution of power and resources and Humanitarian Action and Crises Response.
Norwegian People’s Aid is seeking Capacity Development (CD) Advisors for humanitarian Disarmament projects in Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos.
Wars and armed conflicts come to an end; however, the remnants of war continue to terrorize millions of people for decades to follow. Humanitarian Disarmament's vision is a world where people and communities are safe, resilient and protected before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by landmines and other explosive remnants of war. Currently NPA has more than 22 Humanitarian Disarmament Programmes ongoing in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Balkans and the Middle East.
Do you want to join our professional and committed global team in our mission to protect civilians from exposive weapons?
NPA is a lead organization in developing capacities of National Mine Action Authorities (NMAAs). NPA builds upon the proven and successful experience of previous CD initiatives and projects, namely in Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Somalia and Angola. NPA brings the experiences of previous CD initiatives and projects under a single framework to provide a coordinated, scaled-up and comprehensive package of CD support required by the relevant National Mine Action Authorities (NMAAs) at the national and sub-national levels.
In this position your main responsibilities will be:
The CD Advisor shall contribute towards improving NPA’s CD framework in the designated country, primarily at the institutional and the organizational level.
The CD Advisor will assist the relevant NMAA to review CD work plans and identify new and emerging developmental priorities and timely implementation of the CD work plans. The main responsibilities of the CD Advisor shall be the following:
- Develop and implement CD work plans in close coordination with NMAA
- Represent NPA and brief stakeholders on NPA CD projects in the designated country
- Liaise with national authorities, national and international mine action operators and other relevant stakeholders
- Assess, together with the Global CD Advisor, multiple CD entry points in respective NMAA and map out areas for strategic support and enhancement
- Map out broad-based and technical CD support provided to NMAA
- Assist the Global CD Advisor to explore opportunities for greater coordination, synergies, information sharing and knowledge management across countries
- Identify and communicate CD challenges, bottlenecks and deficiencies, to Global CD Advisor.
- Write national CD reports and submit to Global CD Advisor on a timely basis
To be succesfull in this role you must have:
- Extensive knowledge and experience from the Mine Action sector
- Experience of providing advisory services in the area of CD particularly with NMAAs
- Strong Project Management skills
- Ability to work independently
We are looking for someone with the experience and abililty to work independently, be proactive and make decisions as required. Good communication skills, cultural understanding, diplomacy and interpersonal skills is a prerequesite for being succesful in this position. Ability to work efficiently under pressure and meet set deadlines.
In return we offer:
An interesting, challenging work environment and a competitive salary package which includes country specific allowances. You will be covered by our comprehensive insurance scheme. We offer five weeks annual holiday plus one additional week off for expats. NPA provides three international flights home per contract year. We offer a one year contract with the possibility of renewal.
In general we emphasize the importance of strong health. One of NPA's overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organization, and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please note: Selection and interviews will take place continuously. The position could be filled before the closing date.
For more information about NPA, please see our website at https://www.npaid.org/Our-Work/Humanitarian-Disarmament or visit us on Facebook or Twitter.
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
** Terms apply according to NPA’s internal regulations
Please apply online as instructed on this website. Due to capacity reasons we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal.
Sten Trygve Brand
Desk Officer Southeast Asia
+47 40 22 60 77
Mohammad Qasim Hashimi