The vision of Norwegian People's Aid is Solidarity in Action. We are a politically independent membership-based organisation working in Norway and in more than 35 countries around the world. Founded in 1939 as the labour movement's humanitarian solidarity organisation, NPA aims to improve people's living conditions and to create societies that are more just and more democratic. NPA's international work covers three core areas: Humanitarian Disarmament, Democratisation and Just distribution of power and resources and Humanitarian Action and Crises Response.
Norwegian People’s Aid is seeking a Global Capacity Development Advisor for humanitarian clearance operations Globally
Wars and armed conflicts come to an end; however, the remnants of war continue to terrorize millions of people for decades to follow. Humanitarian Disarmament's vision is a world where people and communities are safe, resilient and protected before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by landmines and other explosive remnants of war. Currently NPA has more than 22 Humanitarian Disarmament Programmes ongoing in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Balkans and the Middle East.
Do you want to join our professional and committed global team in our mission to protect civilians from explosive weapons?
NPA is a lead organization in developing capacities of NMAAs. NPA builds upon the proven and successful experience of previous Capacity Development (CD) initiatives and projects, namely in Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Somalia and Angola. NPA brings the experiences of previous CD initiatives and projects under a single framework to provide a coordinated, scaled-up and comprehensive package of CD support required by the relevant National Mine Action Authorities (NMAAs) at the national and sub-national levels.
In this position your main responsibilities will be:
The Global Capacity Development Advisor shall contribute towards improving NPA’s CD framework and consistent implementation across the countries primarily at the institutional (enabling environment) and the organizational levels and will work with relevant NMAAs counterparts through NPA’s seconded CD Advisors to facilitate their performance, learning and development.
The Global CD Advisor will work across the countries, bridging the divide between the Capacity Development Advisors of NPA assigned to NMAAs for the specific purpose of coordinating, monitoring and managing CD initiatives within as well as across NMAAs. The Global CD Advisor will assist CD Advisors and the relevant NMAAs to review CD work plans and identify new and emerging developmental priorities and timely implementation of the CD work plans. The main responsibilities of the Global CD Advisor shall be the following:
- In close coordination with HO ensure CD Plans are updated and implemented by relevant CD Advisors in targeted countries
- Represent NPA and brief stakeholders on NPA CD projects
- Liaise with national authorities, national and international mine action operators and other relevant stakeholders
- Assess, together with CD Advisors and HO, multiple CD entry points in respective NMAAs and map out areas for strategic support and enhancement
- Map out broad-based and technical CD support provided to NMAAs
- Based on CD activities in different countries, explore opportunities for greater coordination, synergies, information sharing and knowledge management
- Support the CD Advisors with the development and implementation of CD work plans
- Review and assess NPA’s CD framework and suggest improvement
- Identify and communicate CD challenges, bottlenecks and deficiencies, to HO and relevant NPA programmes in country and suggest solutions
- Review and approval of the CD reports prepared by CD Advisors
To be succesfull in this role you must have:
- Master’s degree in relevant social sciences or equivalent
- 10 years of progressive relevant work experience within a governmental or multilateral organization
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural setting as well as in post conflict reconstruction situations
- Experience of providing advisory services in the area of Capacity Development particularly with National Mine Action Authorities (NMAA).
We are looking for someone with the experience and abililty to work independently, be proactive and make decisions as required. Good communication skills, cultural understanding, diplomacy and interpersonal skills is a prerequesite for being succesful in this position. Ability to adapt to harsh environment and work calmly under pressure and with limited supervision.
In return we offer:
An interesting, challenging work environment and a competitive salary package which includes country specific allowances. You will be covered by our comprehensive insurance scheme. We offer five weeks annual holiday plus one additional week off for expats. NPA provides three international flights home per contract year. We offer a one year contract with the possibility of renewal.
In general we emphasize the importance of strong health. One of NPA's overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organization, and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please note: Selection and interviews will take place continuously. The position could be filled before the closing date.
For more information about NPA, please see our website at https://www.npaid.org/Our-Work/Humanitarian-Disarmament or visit us on Facebook or Twitter.
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
** Terms apply according to NPA’s internal regulations
Please apply online as instructed on this website. Due to capacity reasons we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal.
Head of Operations
Mohammed Qasim Hashimi
Global Information Management Advisor