Norwegian People's Aid vision is Solidarity in Action. We are a politically independent membership-based organisation working in Norway and in more than 35 countries around the world. Founded in 1939 as the labour movement's humanitarian solidarity organisation, NPA aims to improve people's living conditions and to create societies that are more just and more democratic. NPA's international work covers three core areas: Humanitarian Disarmament, Democratisation and Just distribution of power and resources and Humanitarian Action and Crises response.
Technical Field Manager for our Humanitarian Disarmament Program in Iraq
Wars and armed conflicts come to an end; however, the remnants of war continue to terrorize millions of people for decades to follow. Humanitarian Disarmament's vision is a world where people and communities are safe, resilient and protected before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by landmines and other explosive remnants of war. Currently NPA has more than 22 Humanitarian Disarmament Programmes ongoing in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Balkans and the Middle East.
Do you want to join our professional and committed global team in our mission to protect civilians from exposive weapons?
NPA started supporting Iraq in 1995 conducting mine clearance in the northern kurdish region. In 2010 NPA shifted its focus to southern Iraq, conducting capacity building and survey and clearance operations. In addition, and in support to the humanitarian releif effort resulting from the liberation of areas previously held by ISIL, NPA established an IED and Improvised Landmine clearance programme operating in northern Iraq, based out of Erbil. The progam has a planned 217 staff for 2018, operating out of 4 operational bases, 2 project offices and the country office in Baghdad.
NPA Iraq is seeking an experienced Technical Field Manager is responsible for managing NPA’s survey and clearance operations in Iraq. The role will focus is on the liberated areas from the recent conflicts and be based in Erbil and require travel to operational locations in and around Mosul and Ramadi.
- Under direction of the Project Operations Manager, the TFM is overall responsible for the daily planning, supervision, and execution of HMA activities to include NTS, mechanical, and manual.
- Personally conduct spot tasks, identify and separate components of ordnance and IEDs, and search unoccupied structures (if qualified)
- For those with IEDD qualifications, conducted IEDD semi-remote and manual techniques as appropriate to the mission and threat level.
- In cooperation with the Project Operations Manager, draft Standard Operational Procedures and other technical documents relevant for clearance of the explosive hazards in the area of operations.
- In cooperation with the Project Operations Manager, ensure accreditation of NPA’s personnel and teams.
- Conduct operations in accordance with overall plans, Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs) and International Mine Action Standards (IMAS) and/or NMAS.
- Plan and implement training of local staff in survey, clearance techniques, and other procedures in accordance with SOPs.
- Implement technical and managerial continuation training of national staff to build capacity.
- Provide progress reports on technical, operational (including impact related information) and administrative matters.
- Liaise with national authority, national and international mine action operators and other relevant stakeholders, including participation in the Technical Working Group, in coordination with the Project Operations Manager.
- Maintain an operational QM system.
- Contribute to methodology development.
- Act as deputy for the Project Operations Manager if delegated.
- Any other task or duty as assigned by the Project Operations Manager.
What you bring to the team:
- Relevant higher education or equivalent military qualifications.
- IMAS EOD Level 3 at minimum
- IEDD Certificate desirable but not strictly required
- Experience in HMA and Land Release is crucial
- Proven ability to develop and manage a team in survey and/or clearance, including motivating and leading a team.
- Experience in reporting
- Experience in operational planning and proven analytical skills.
- Written and verbal proficiency in English is strictly required.
- Competence in Windows-based applications such as Office programs is strictly required.
- Written and verbal proficiency in Arabic and/ or Kurdish is an advantage.
- Driving licence.
It is desirable that you also have the following experience:
- Experience managing armoured plant machine operations is highly desired.
- Experience with IEDD is highly desired
- Recent Iraq experience
- Experience in search of unoccupied buildings
- Good knowledge of Humanitarian Disarmament policy, IMAS, NMAS, SOPs and land release principles (and/or IATG when relevant).
- Proven experience in drafting technical notes, SOP and training packages is an advantage.
- Hands on mine action experience with non-technical survey, technical survey, manual demining, EOD, BAC, mechanical and/ or animal detection is an advantage.
- Experience with front-end loader and/or backhoe
- Experience in rubble removal
- GIS skills are an advantage
In return we offer:
- Salary: In addition to base salary, our salary package for this position includes post allowance, hardship allowance.
- Accomodation: NPA will provide free accomodation
- Leave: 6 weeks leave per year + an attractive R&R package
- Flights: NPA provides 3 international flights home per year in addition to contract start and end flights.
- Insurance: You will be covered by NPA’s coprehensive insurance package which includes travel insurance, group life insurance, accident insurance and worker’s compensation.
- Health checks: Provided in connection with assumption of duty and on a yearly basis.
- Contract: A one year contract with possibility for renewal
In general we emphasize the importance of strong health, cross-cultural communication skills, positive attitude, creativity and the ability to work undeer pressure and diffucult conditions. One of NPA's overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organization, and female candidates are encouraged to apply!
Please apply online by the closing date of May 2nd 2018 (thoughts)
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
Please apply online as instructed on this website. Due to capacity reasons we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal.