SEI HQ is looking for a highly motivated Data Administrator with a strong interest in sustainability, particularly linked to the environmental and social impacts of commodity production, trade and consumption. You should have a strong interest in using your data engineering skills to support research on major sustainability challenges.
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Type of contract: Full-time, permanent
Join our international non-profit research organization and help create a sustainable future for all. SEI HQ is a dynamic expanding workplace that employs around 110 people from 28 different nationalities in an activity-based office in central Stockholm (Garnisonen), with an additional 200 employees in centres around the world.
Trase (Transparency for Sustainable Economies) is a pioneering sustainability data and intelligence initiative that reveals the connections between consumers, producers and investors, as well as the environmental and social impacts linked to global supply chains. The Trase approach draws on vast sets of production, trade, customs and financial data, for the first time laying bare the flows of globally traded commodities such as palm oil, soya and beef at scale, as well as the flows of capital used to finance this trade. Trase is a direct response to the ambitious commitments made by leaders across sectors to achieve deforestation-free supply chains and the urgent need this creates for a breakthrough in assessing and monitoring sustainability performance. Trase is jointly led by SEI and Global Canopy with many additional partners and close collaborators. The Trase team is made up of over 30 individuals located in nine countries, brought together by enthusiasm, curiosity and drive.
As Trase enters an exciting new phase with a strategy to 2025 to mainstream the deployment and uptake of Trase data, SEI HQ is recruiting a highly motivated Data Administrator with a strong interest in sustainability, particularly linked to the environmental and social impacts of commodity production, trade and consumption.
You will be part of a leading multinational, multidisciplinary, and multilingual team of experts working across the Trase initiative. You will work as a key member of the Trase data team, focused on maintaining the Trase master database and pipeline for processing trade and supply chain data. We value diversity, inclusivity and creativity at the core of what we do and we welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
- Retrieve datasets for yearly updates of the Trase supply chain models for different countries and commodities from various data sources (download, purchase and scraping)
- Gather, organize, quality check and catalog trade data for application in supply chain mapping
- Clean data sets and run quality assurance using tools and scripts based on Python Pandas library
- Act internally as the owner of the data sets
- Run supply chain models in a JupyterHub environment
- Work closely with other team members to communicate and resolve discrepancies or issues with data and identify opportunities to improve quality and impact of work
- Manage ingestion of data into PostgreSQL database that in turn underpins front-end data product offering and direct access to users
Who you are
You should have a strong interest in using your data engineering skills to support research on several major environmental and sustainability challenges the world is facing in the 21st century.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in computer or data science
- Intermediate knowledge of Python (including Pandas)
- Understanding of relational databases and basic SQL skills
- Good software engineering practices
- Experience using Git and GitHub
- Experience with Jupyter notebooks
- Fluency in English.
- Experience working with large datasets
- Experience with cloud service platforms (Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud Platform, with preference for AWS)
- Experience with JupyterHub
- Experience with PostgreSQL
- Experience working in research and/or civil society organizations
- Experience working in multicultural and multilingual teams.
How to apply
We are reviewing applications on an ongoing basis, so please submit your application as soon as possible. We only accept applications in English that are submitted through our recruitment system.
You do not need to be a Swedish or EU citizen nor have a work/residence permit in order to apply for a job at SEI HQ. Please include:
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
- Curriculum vitae.
Inquiries concerning the content of the position can be directed to Clément Suavet, Data Lead at Trase (firstname.lastname@example.org). For inquiries concerning the recruitment process, please contact Filippa Klintberg, HR Specialist (email@example.com).
Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI) is an independent international research institute founded in 1989. Its mission is to support decision-making and induce change towards sustainable development around the world by providing integrative knowledge that bridges science and policy in the field of environment and development. SEI was ranked as the world’s top think tank on environmental policy issues in the 2020 Global Go To Think Tanks Index compiled by the University of Pennsylvania’s Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program.
SEI has around 300 employees working at research centres in seven countries around the world. SEI’s headquarters are located in Stockholm, Sweden. Additional SEI research centres are located in Colombia (SEI Latin America), Estonia (SEI Tallinn), Kenya (SEI Africa), Thailand (SEI Asia), the UK (SEI Oxford and SEI York) and US (SEI US).
URL to this pagehttps://web103.reachmee.com/ext/I012/1211/main?site=6&validator=4687e906bb0fd747e99188e22d01bed9&lang=UK&rmpage=job&rmjob=235&rmlang=UK