Join our international non-profit research organization and help create a sustainable and prosperous future for all!
The Stockholm Environment Institute is a dynamic and expanding workplace that employs around 110 people from 28 different nationalities in an activity-based office in central Stockholm (Garnisonen), and with an additional 200 employees in centres around the world.
Join our international non-profit research organization and help create a sustainable and prosperous future for all! SEI HQ is a dynamic and expanding workplace that employs around 110 people from 28 different nationalities in an activity-based office in central Stockholm (Garnisonen), with an additional 200 employees in centres around the world.
Trase (Transparency for Sustainable Economies) is a pioneering sustainability data and intelligence initiative that reveals the connections between consumers, producers and investors, as well as the environmental and social impacts linked to global supply chains. The Trase approach draws on vast sets of production, trade, customs and financial data, for the first time laying bare the flows of globally traded commodities – such as palm oil, soya and beef – at scale, as well as the flows of capital used to finance this trade. Trase is a direct response to the ambitious commitments made by leaders across sectors to achieve deforestation-free supply chains - and the urgent need this creates for a breakthrough in assessing and monitoring sustainability performance. Trase is jointly led by SEI and Global Canopy with many additional partners and close collaborators. The Trase team is made up of over 30 individuals, located in nine countries, brought together by enthusiasm, curiosity and drive.
As Trase enters an exciting new phase with a strategy for 2021–2025 to mainstream the deployment and uptake of data, SEI HQ is recruiting a highly motivated early career Data Engineer/Technologist with a strong interest in sustainability, particularly linked to the environmental and social impacts of commodity production, trade and consumption.
You will be part of a leading, multinational, multidisciplinary, and multilingual team of experts, working across the Trase initiative. You will work as a key member of the Trase Data Observatory – which is focused on democratizing access to the Trase data – by helping model, analyse and query Trase data, as well as providing tools that can improve how target users access and engage with Trase data and actionable insights. You will also play a supporting role in the Trase Data Tools team, focused on maintaining the Trase master database and pipeline for processing trade and supply chain data. We value diversity, inclusivity and creativity at the core of what we do and we welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
- Work with Trase data scientists to improve access to Trase data by building and maintaining targeted tools and interfaces that enable better external and internal access to and understanding of the full extent of Trase data, including through data modeling, automating data reports and creating API end points
- Support prototyping of new features and functionality for the public offering of Trase, including bringing some of this work to production
- Support maintenance of Trase database and Trase data pipeline
- Improve data governance by supporting the development of an internal data catalog
- Work closely with colleagues across the Trase partnership, including at SEI and co-founder Global Canopy in the UK to facilitate data access and develop greater data literacy and understanding
- Coordinate with other colleagues in SEI, as well as in collaborating institutions, including our partner institute Global Canopy in the UK, in working on these tasks.
Who you are
You should have a strong interest in using your data engineering skills to support research on some of the major environmental and sustainability challenges the world is facing in the 21st century.
- Master's degree or equivalent experience and at least one year of work experience
- Experience with relational database management, modeling and querying
- Experience with data pipelines and ETL/ELT
- Solid SQL knowledge
- Intermediate knowledge of Python
- Strong strategic and analytical thinking
- Experience with cloud service platforms for data processing (Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud Platform, with preference for AWS)
- Good software engineering practices
- Git and agile development practices
- Fluency in English.
- Experience with Metabase
- Experience with PostgreSQL
- Experience with workflow management systems (Apache Airflow, Luigi)
- Experience with container tools (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience with data modeling, maintenance, and governance in a Data Warehouse
- An understanding of modern CD/CI
- Experience working in research and/or civil society organizations
- Experience working in multicultural and multilingual teams.
How to apply
We are reviewing applications on an ongoing basis so please submit your application soon, but no later than 25 October 2021.
We only accept applications in English that are submitted through our recruitment system.
Please apply online and include:
- cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
- curriculum vitae.
You do not need to be a Swedish or EU citizen nor have a work or residence permit in order to apply for a job at SEI HQ.
Inquiries concerning the position can be directed to Clément Suavet, Data Lead at Trase, email@example.com. Inquiries concerning the recruitment process can be directed to My Persson, Recruitment and Competence Specialist (firstname.lastname@example.org).
URL to this pagehttps://web103.reachmee.com/ext/I012/1211/main?site=6&validator=4687e906bb0fd747e99188e22d01bed9&lang=UK&rmpage=job&rmjob=201&rmlang=UK