Last application date: 30/11/2023
Type of contract: Full-time contract
SEI Latin America Centre
Join our Latin America Centre and be part of SEI’s formal presence in this dynamic region. Over the years, SEI’s internional staff have spearheaded projects across Latin America in thematic areas including air quality, environmental governance, trade in agricultural commodities, energy systems, and water management and sanitation. With the recent establishment of our permanent office in Bogotá, Colombia, we are expanding our team of talented and committed environmental and development professionals to strengthen our new centre.
We are in search of a candidate to join the SEI Latin America Water Program under the guidance of our Water Program Manager. This role involves supporting initiatives aimed at sustainable futures for both human communities and natural ecosystems. Your contributions will be pivotal in managing research activities, capacity development and shaping policy within the realm of water management and river basin planning.
- Implement projects under the Water Program Manager’s supervision, focusing on planning tools and participatory process that promote holistic, transparent and robust decision-making for the planning and management of river basins and water systems.
- Propose and develop research on innovative sustainable water management approaches.
- Engage stakeholder's and build capacities in collaboration with both public and private institutions operating within water and environmental related sectors.
- Conduct fieldwork and office-based activities, collaborating with institutional partners to gather essential project information.
- Prepare and disseminate project outcomes through reports, scientific publications, guides, manuals and presentations.
- Contribute to the development of new proposals relevant to the Water Program.
Who you are
You should hold an MSc in engineering, environmental or earth science, or a related field, with 3–5 years of experience. Alternatively, you may possess a Ph.D. in a relevant field, with or without professional experience. Success in this role requires organizational skills, a collaborative spirit, problem-solving abilities, proactiveness and excellent communications skills in both Spanish and English. Independent working capabilities, adaptability to various field conditions and a willingness to travel are essential). Relocation to Bogotá is mandatory, though Colombian nationality is not a prerequisite (visa and work permit assistance will be provided if necessary).
In addition, to being able to work effectively in the Water Program, you should possess the following specific qualifications:
- Prior experience pertaining to the use of Geographical Information Systems, with a focus on the use of remote sensing imagery for water management, climate information and/or water quality analysis.
- Prior experience pertaining to the modeling of surface or groundwater hydrology, water resources systems and/or water management-ecosystem interactions.
- Experience pertaining to the planning or development of water supply or sanitation systems, or to the performance evaluation of said systems.
- Experience preparing scientific reports and publications based on research results.
- Experience in collaborative work with public and/or private sector actors.
- Experience in the preparation of project proposals.
- Experience pertaining to the management and supervision of contracts and projects.
- Experience developing and deploying WEAP models is desired.
- Solid knowledge and experience in the use of scientific tools for data analysis (R, MATLAB and Python).
- History of scientific publications.
How to apply
We are reviewing applications on an ongoing basis so please submit your application soon, however no later than 30 November 2023.
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience.
- Curriculum vitae or resume (as attachment).
Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI) is an independent, international research institute founded in 1989. Its mission is to support decision-making and induce change towards sustainable development around the world by providing integrative knowledge that bridges science and policy in the field of environment and development. SEI is consistently ranked as one of the most influential environment think tanks in the world according to the Go To Think Tank Report compiled by the University of Pennsylvania's Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program.
SEI has about 250 employees working at research centres in six countries around the world. Our Headquarters are located in Stockholm, Sweden with other centers in Estonia (SEI Tallinn); United Kingdom (SEI York and SEI Oxford); the United States (SEI US with office in Boston, Seattle and Davis, California); Bangkok, Thailand (SEI Asia Centre); and Nairobi, Kenya (SEI Africa Centre).
URL to this pagehttps://web103.reachmee.com/ext/I012/1211/main?site=6&validator=4687e906bb0fd747e99188e22d01bed9&lang=UK&rmpage=job&rmjob=315&rmlang=UK