SEI-Asia works at the forefront of socially and environmentally sustainable development in Asia. Since establishing our office in Bangkok, Thailand in 2004, we have built a strong presence and identity in the region through high-quality and credible scientific research in gender, climate change, water resource management, disaster risk reduction, agriculture, and urbanization, coupled with an effective policy engagement and expanding public and media outreach.
SEI Asia is seeking a Research Associate with a proven background and experience in policy research and analysis as well as Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) related to environmental sustainability including regional policy processes to support our efforts in creating impact through evidence-based policy. SEI Asia is currently implementing a number of programs that require intense policy engagement and collaboration with boundary partners for impact reporting. Through its research, SEI seeks to share knowledge, promote informed debate and contribute to evidence-based policy development for more sustainable, resilient and inclusive societies across Asia. Research activities are carried out in a participatory manner through engagement with varied stakeholder ranging from local and national governments, multi-lateral agencies, NGOs and local community organisations.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a proven background in science to policy processes, policy analysis and policy communications. The Research Associate will work towards bridging research and policy in a variety of contexts across Asia.
The Research Associate will work with colleagues from all research teams in SEI Asia including water resources, gender, urban, climate change, disaster risk reduction, in developing cross-cutting collaboration. The role will also require coordination with other SEI centres and colleagues internationally. The Research Associate will also contribute to other SEI-wide activities and reports.
Key duties and responsibilities include
- Carry out policy research, engagement and communications activities and participate in developing new research and policy activities
- Support in developing the Asia Centre’s policy research agenda and implementing policy research projects
- Document relevant regional policy processes, instruments and performance results, as well as identify opportunities for engagement
- Develop targeted policy publications and other communications outputs such as discussion briefs, new media pieces and visual materials
- Develop and maintain partnerships with policy actors and decision makers, such as government agencies, businesses, and regional/international development agencies
- Lead the design and implementation of M&E frameworks and Theory of Change with SDG integration in various projects and proposals. This includes project monitoring, evaluation, and learning, to track delivery against project targets, outcomes, and impacts with clearly defined objectives, indicators, tools, learning mechanisms, and the implementation of appropriate M&E procedures
- Assess project results regularly and generate learning for improving project design and implementation as well as develop corresponding guidance and feedback for project partners and relevant stakeholders
- Identify new opportunities and support fundraising activities, as well as strengthen multi-stakeholder partnership for enhancing SEI Asia’s policy portfolio.
- Take on administrative and reporting tasks related to projects, as well as own personal administrative tasks such as time reporting, and expenses claims
Who you are
We are looking for a person with a strong interest and proven track record in designing and executing policy-focused research projects as well as knowledgable in MEL application. You have excellent writing skills are passionate about communicating and collaborating with multi-stakeholder policy actors.
Formal qualifications and knowledge
- Masters’ degree in a relevant subject such as political sciences, humanities, economics, social sciences or environmental sciences or other related field
- Two years of experience of working in policy-related research and/or policy development
- Experience in MEL development and application
- An emerging publication record in academic and/or policy literature
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Working knowledge of an Asian language
- Experience working in Asia
- Proven capacity in project proposal development and policy communication
Personal skills required in the position
- Ability to communicate to a diverse audience through written outputs and other media
- Ability to work in teams and appreciate a diverse, international learning environment
- Ability to effectively multi-task and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to travel regionally and internationally as projects require
- The employee will be provided with a local (Thai) contract
- SEI Asia provides a competitive salary and benefit package
How to apply
SEI ASIA is an equal opportunity employer and consider all applications on the basis of qualifications and competencies regardless of, but not limited to, race, national origin, religious beliefs, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability and marital status. We are committed to ensuring diversity and equality within our organization and applicants from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
We are reviewing applications on an ongoing basis so please submit your application as soon as possible, however no later than 27 April 2021, 23:59 Bangkok local time.
Applications should be written in English and consist of a short CV and cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience.
As we only accept applications through our recruitment system, please apply online using the button below and include:
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience (maximum 2 pages)
- Curriculum vitae (maximum 4 pages)
- At least one writing sample in which you are lead author
Inquiries concerning the content of the position can be directed to Wanaporn Yangyuentham, Programme Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org). Inquiries concerning the content of the position can be directed to Chinnarat Buttho, HR Specialist (email@example.com).
Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI) is an independent, international research institute founded in 1989. Its mission is to support decision-making and induce change towards sustainable development around the world by providing integrative knowledge that bridges science and policy in the field of environment and development. SEI was ranked as the world’s top think tank on environmental policy issues in the 2020 Global Go To Think Tanks Index compiled by the University of Pennsylvania's Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program.
SEI has around 250 employees working at research centres in seven countries around the world. SEI’s headquarters are located in Stockholm, Sweden. Additional SEI research centres are located in Kenya (SEI Africa) Estonia (SEI Tallinn); United Kingdom (SEI York and SEI Oxford); the United States (SEI US); Thailand (SEI Asia); and Colombia (SEI Latin America).
URL to this pagehttps://web103.reachmee.com/ext/I012/1211/main?site=6&validator=4687e906bb0fd747e99188e22d01bed9&lang=UK&rmpage=job&rmjob=160&rmlang=UK