Senior Lecturer in Sport Science - PAR 2022/1709
Ref PAR 2022/1709
The University of Gothenburg tackles society’s challenges with diverse knowledge. 56 000 students and 6 600 employees make the university a large and inspiring place to work and study. Strong research and attractive study programmes attract scientists and students from around the world. With new knowledge and new perspectives, the University contributes to a better future.
The vision of the Department of Food and Nutrition and Sport Science is to be a strong, socially engaged department contributing to healthy and sustainable lifestyle, performance and learning by combining food and nutrition science and sport science in eminent education and research. Sport Science covers a broad spectrum of physical activities, from exercise and health promotion to competitive and elite sports.
For further inforamtion about the Department of Food and Nutrition and Sport Science: https://www.gu.se/kostvetenskap-idrottsvetenskap
Subject area description
Sport science is a third-cycle multi-disciplinary subject focusing on sport, exercise and physical activity. Sport science includes studies of the body and the physicaly active human being, the societal development of sport cultures and sport as well elite as in a broader perspective. In Sport science, the starting point is that physical activity and sport activities can promote health and well-being, performance and estetical experience.
The work tasks have orientation to sport physiology focusing on physical activity for health. The research is expected to be focused mainly towards the health promotin effects of physical activity in different arenas (school, health care, leisure time, transportation), but also towards applied science in performance development connected to sport, including elite sports. The work tasks include research, education and development focusing och physical activity and health in a broad sense included applied performance development.
The tasks as senior lecturer relate to planning, execution, follow-up and development of teaching in physical activity and health and sport physiology in all of the department's educations related to sport science (teacher education in physical education, health promotion, and sport coaching). Supervision in education at undergraduate, advanced and postgraduate level may also be part of the employment. Teaching is held both in Swedish and English.
The employment includes responsibility as course leader, syllabus writing and course administration such as communication with students via the university's learning platform Canvas and reporting grades in the Ladok student registry.
The senior lecturer is also expected to conduct research in the subject area of the employment and to apply for external research funding.
Eligibility for employment as a senior lecturer is stated in Chapter 4, Sections 3 - 4 of the Higher Education Ordinance and the University of Gothenburg's own employment ordinance.
Eligible to be employed as a senior lecturer in sport science is the one who has:
- completed a doctoral degree in a relevant postgraduate subject or has equivalent scientific competence or any other professional skill that is important with respect to the subject content of the employment and the work description of the employment.
- demonstrated pedagogical skills.
The assessment of merit and skills will only be done among applicants who are eligible. In assessing the applicant's merits, the greatest importance will be attached to scientific and pedagogical expertise, with equal weight. When assessing merits, the same care will be given to the examination of the pedagogical expertise as to the examination of the scientific expertise. Thus, the application should place as much emphasis on presenting merits from educational as well as research experience. In assessing the applicant's merits, emphasis will also be placed on expertise in academic leadership and administration, expertise in collaboration with the surrounding community and personal aptness for university employment.
For the assessment of scientific expertise, the degree of expertise in the following aspects will be taken into account:
- Quality and originality in research in sport physiology focusing on physical activity for health and in performance development relative to the international scientific community
- Productivity in scientific publishing
- Ability to develop, lead and carry out research, individually and in collaboration with others • Ability to supervise and review in postgraduate education
- Establishment in the scientific community through, for example, expert roles, scientific commissions and participation in networks
The assessment of scientific expertise is primarily done in relation to physical activity for health and performance development specifically, secondly in relation to sport physiology and thirdly in relation to other scientific activities.
For the assessment of pedagogical expertise, the degree of expertise in the following aspects will be taken into account:
- Pedagogical qualifications for higher education (education and courses)
- Breadth and depth in pedagogical experience within the subject area of the employment
- Teaching expertise
- Progression and development as a teacher
- Pedagogical development, writing of course literature and production of pedagogical material
- Pedagogical leadership and contribution to collegial knowledge development
- Educational rationality for the applicant's teaching and other educational work and their basis in research and best practice.
Assessment of pedagogical expertise takes place primarily in relation to physical activity for health and performance development specifically, secondly in relation to sport physiology and thirdly in relation to other scientific activities.
Pedagogical qualification for higher education in accordance with requirements at the University of Gothenburg (courses PIL101, PIL102 and PIL103) is expected. If no, such qualification should be validated or the relevant courses completed within one year from the beginning of the employment (See https://pil.gu.se/resurser/merits).
For the assessment of expertise in academic leadership and administration, the following aspects will be taken into account:
- Successful execution of leadership positions, as well as being member of decision and review concerning education, research, and other aspects of academic activities
- Formal and informal leadership in knowledge-developing mileus (e.g. research and educational milieus)
- Holding and carrying out positions of trust in academic activities nationally and internationally, independently or on behalf of the university, regarding both research and education, including collaboration
- Commissioned work with investigations and reviews of specific issues
For the assessment of expertise in collaboration with the surrounding society, the following aspects will be taken into account:
- Information about education, research and development work in various forms
- Initiatives for public education and popular science
- Initiation and implementation of collaborative projects with external actors
- Relevant experience from and insights into the activities of important collaboration actors
- Significant contributions in commissioned education and contract research
For the assessment of personal aptness, good judgment in professional matters, ability to fulfill the tasks included in the employment and ability to cooperate and contribute to the development of the department are taken into account.
When deciding on who to hire on a position as senior lecturer, the applicant must be selected who, after an overall assessment of expertise and potential for development, is judged to have the best capability in carrying out the assignments included in the work description. It is important that the person employed should be able to contribute both with respect to both research and teaching and have the personal qualities required to be able to collaborate internally and externally to contribute to the department's and the subject's academic development. In addition to the assessment criteria that are taken into account in the external review (primarily scientific and pedagogical expertise, and also expertise in academic leadership and administration as well as expertise in collaboration with the surrounding society), the overall assessment will take into account an assessment of personal aptness.
The position is a tenured full time position at the Department of Nutrition and Sports Science. Expected starting date: 2023-09-01
Applications received are first assessed by one or more external experts who propose a top group of applicants. The expert primarily assesses scientific and pedagogical expertise, as well as expertise in academic leadership and administration as well as expertise in collaboration with the surrounding society. In the recruitment process, it may then be relevant with test lectures / seminars, interviews and reference taking. In the interview, the applicant is given the opportunity to describe and develop their own view of the subject and of their possible, future role at the department. The overall assessment will also take into account an assessment of personal aptness, together with the assessment criteria that are taken into account in the expert review.
For further information see https://www.gu.se/om-universitetet/jobba-hos-oss/hjalp-for-sokande
Union representatives at the University of Gothenburg can be found here: https://www.gu.se/om-universitetet/jobba-hos-oss/hjalp-for-sokande
Submit your application via the University of Gothenburg’s recruitment portal by clicking the “Apply” button. It is your responsibility to ensure that the application is complete as per the vacancy notice, and that the University receives it by the final application deadline.
In your application the following should be attached:
- Personal letter with motivation for why you are applying for the job
- CV / curriculum vitae, including list of publications
- Report on scientific profile, previous scientific activities and planned research within the employment
- List of a maximum of 10 scientific publications for assessment of scientific expertise that will be included in the application. For co-authored works that are invoked, the applicant's contribution should be specified in this list.
- Report on pedagogical qualifications, including a list of a maximum of 3 written publications for assessment of pedagogical expertise that will be included in the application
- Statement of merits related to academic leadership and administration as well as collaboration with the surrounding society, including a list of a maximum of 3 written reports / publications or of relevance for the assessment of collaboration and/or leadership that will be included in the application
- Relevant diplomas, grades, certificates etc.
A maximum of 10 scientific publications should be attached to the application. A maximum of 3 teaching materials / pedagogical publications and a maximum of 3 publications / reports of relevance for assessment of expertise in collaboration with the surrounding society and academic leadership and administration should be attached to the application.
In addition to what is directly indicated by the headings above, the application is expected to contain, for example, a clear quantitative summary of previous teaching in the subject, with an overview of teaching hours over time and in different courses, as well as qualitative documents (eg description of development work and course material) that illustrate and exemplify the applicant's pedagogical skills. The list of publications should be structured so that peer-reviewed scientific articles, peer-reviewed book chapters and peer-reviewed books are reported under separate headings. Diplomas, grades and certificates must be attached as a single pdf file. As an applicant, you are responsible for ensuring that the application is complete in accordance with the advertisement and the application form and that it is received by the university no later than the last day for application. The publications (and reports etc) that cannot be attached to the application digitally must, in two duplicates, be sent to: Anneli Svensson, University of Gothenburg, Department of Food and Nutrition and Sport Science, Box 300, 405 30 Gothenburg, Sweden, and muste be received at the latest 15 February 2023. Do not forget to enter reference / record number PAR 2022/1709 on the shipment.
Applications must be received by: 13 February 2023.
Information for International Applicants
Choosing a career in a foreign country is a big step. Thus, to give you a general idea of what we and Gothenburg have to offer in terms of benefits and life in general for you and your family/spouse/partner please visit:
The University works actively to achieve a working environment with equal conditions, and values the qualities that diversity brings to its operations.
Salaries are set individually at the University.
In accordance with the National Archives of Sweden’s regulations, the University must archive application documents for two years after the appointment is filled. If you request that your documents are returned, they will be returned to you once the two years have passed. Otherwise, they will be destroyed.
In connection to this recruitment, we have already decided which recruitment channels we should use. We therefore decline further contact with vendors, recruitment and staffing companies.