The University of Gothenburg tackles society’s challenges with diverse knowledge. 49 000 students and 6 400 employees make the university a large and inspiring place to work and study. Strong research and attractive study programmes attract scientists and students from around the world. With new knowledge and new perspectives, the University contributes to a better future.
The department has about 100 employees and faculty conducting research within a broad range of areas, including (but not limited to) labor, environmental, development, health, behavioral, and financial economics. More information about the department and the PhD program, including job market placements of past PhD candidates, is available at www.economics.gu.se
We aim at recruiting 3-6 PhD students who will be employed on a regular and fully financed Swedish PhD position (“doktorandtjänst”). The program starts September 1, 2021; the expected date of completion is May, 2026, at which point the student is expected to obtain a PhD in Philosophy (doktorsexamen). The first two years are largely dominated by coursework whereas the remainder are primarily devoted to research and thesis writing as well as departmental work and teaching duties.
To be eligible for admission, the applicant must meet the requirements for basic and special eligibility below. These requirements will generally be met by applicants with a masters in economics or related field, like finance or statistics.
Basic eligibility: the applicant must have a degree awarded at advanced level; or have completed studies for at least 240 higher educationcredits of which at least 60 higher education credits were awarded at advanced level; or have equivalent qualifications.
Special eligibility: the applicant must have completed at least 90 higher education credits in economics; or have completed at least 30 higher education credits in economics at advanced level; or have equivalent qualifications.
A selection among the applicants that meet the basic and secial eligibility is based on ability to absorb the education at the PhD level.
After acceptance as a doctoral student you will be emplyd with doctoral positions, see Higher Education Ordinance, Chapter 5, section 7.
Salaries for doctoral students are regulated in a local agreement at the University.
Union representatives at the University of Gothenburg: http://www.gu.se/english/about_the_university/job-opportunities/unionrepresentatives
Randi Hjalmarsson, Professor and Director of PhD Program in Economics,
Ann-Christin Räätäri Nyström, Doctoral studies Administrator,
To apply to be admitted to the PhD program at the University of Gothenburg, one must apply through the University of Gothenburg´s recruiting system. Applicants do not need the support of individual professors in advance of your application; in fact, such contacts are discouraged.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the job advertisement, and that it is submitted before the deadline. The selection of candidates is made on the basis of the qualifications registered in the application at the last date of application.
Closing date: February 1, 2021
The application should include:
1. A short description of your goals and visions with the doctoral position, highlighting your current research interests (1-2 A4-pages, written in English).
2. A short description of the submitted documentation (listed), your social security number (if you have one), and a list of 1-3 reviewers (see point 8 below)
4. Copy of exam or degree certificates. Non-Scandinavian certificates should be translated into English.
5. Register of university courses with grades, i.e. transcripts. Non-Scandinavian transcripts should be translated into English.
6. Copy of thesis paper or other scientific publications. If you submit more than one, please indicate which you would like to be given priority in the Board’s assessment. It is strongly encouraged that papers are in English or Swedish. Please note that undergrad theses, research proposals for masters theses, or course papers are acceptable if a masters thesis is not yet complete or required at your institution.
7. GRE Exam Scores (recommended). These should ideally be both uploaded with the application, and submitted directly to the school using an institutional code.
8. Letter(s) of recommendation (should be sent separately by the reviewers) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that all letter writers must also fill out the evaluation form found here and at www.economics.gu.se. Letters of recommendation and/or forms submitted directly by the applicant in the application files will not be considered.
The University of Gothenburg promotes equal opportunities, equality and diversity.
Applications will be destroyed or returned (upon request) two years after the decision of employment has become final. Applications from the employed and from those who appeal the decision will not be returned.
In connection to this recruitment, we have already decided which recruitment channels we should use. We therefore decline further contact with vendors, recruitment and staffing companies.