Associate Senior Lecturer in in pharmaceutical science with focus on physical and analytical chemistry
Ref REK 2022/123
About Malmö University
Malmö University is an innovative, urban and international institute of higher education, located in the centre of Malmö. We have around 1,800 employees and 24,000 students. Our research and education are characterised by the role we believe a university should play in an open society — to contribute to sustainability and equality in a scientifically grounded way with external partners and stakeholders. Identifying and addressing the challenges of the future are of highest priority. Our researchers and students work collaboratively to create, share and spread knowledge in order to understand, explain and develop society — both locally and globally.
The Department of Biomedical Science at Faculty of Health and Society (www.mau.se/hs) offers a programme leading to a professional qualification as Biomedical laboratory scientist (first cycle, 180 credits), and a Masters' programme, Biomedical Surface Science (second cycle, 120 credits), as well as first and second cycle freestanding courses. The Department negotiates the multifaceted intersection between biology, chemistry, medicine, physics, and technology and the interdisciplinary approach to research and education aims to further develop the theoretical and practical understanding of the complex subject matter. Drawing on the balance between basic and applied research, the Department has been successful in attracting funding from regional, national, and international research funding bodies. In addition, in the pursuit of possible applications, several industry funded contract research projects are currently running at the Department.
The research at the Department is also linked to our research center “Biofilms - Research Center for Biointerfaces”, which combines biomedical science with clinical and translational research in medical, dental, food and environmental application areas in close collaboration with regional industry.
The purpose of a fixed-term employment as an Associate Senior Lecturer is to provide an opportunity to develop oneself both scientifically and pedagogically in the relevant field in order to meet the requirements for eligibility for a position as Senior Lecturer. This career-development position shall initially allow scope for research, but shall also contain opportunities to develop one’s teaching skills. University teaching training shall be included in the scope of the appointment.
The Department of Biomedical Science aims to recruit an associate senior lecturer in pharmaceutical science with a strong anchoring in biomedical research-driven physical, analytical and bioanalytical chemistry. The new lecturer is vital for our ambitions to expand education and launch a new Pharmacy programme.
You will integrate well in core research activities performed within Biofilms -Research Center for Biointerfaces, and is foreseen to further enforce the bridge between the different research disciplines at the department (i.e., Biomedical laboratory science/technology, Cell and molecular biology, Physical chemistry, and Pharmaceutical science).
You have a strong commitment to both teaching and research, as well as abilities to contribute long term to the joint development of the department. In particular, you must be qualified to teach from day one in applicable courses at our biomedical laboratory science program (basic level, in Swedish) and in corresponding courses at our coming pharmacy program (basic level, in Swedish & English), and at our biomedical surface science program (advanced level, in English).
Teaching duties include course coordination, supervision, course administration, and various managing tasks. The overall four-year research teaching ratio should be 3 to 1. Additional duties include responsibility for the appropriate equipment and to serve as a liaison between national and international researchers, and partner industry.
A person qualified for appointment as an Associate Senior Lecturer is a person who has been awarded a PhD or has the corresponding research expertise. Primary consideration should be given to a person who has been awarded a PhD or achieved the equivalent expertise within five years of the deadline for application for employment as an associate senior lecturer. However, a person who has been awarded a PhD or achieved the equivalent expertise at an earlier date may also be considered if there are exceptional circumstances. Exceptional circumstances are sick leave, parental leave or other similar circumstances.
We are looking for a person who has documented experience of teaching, supervision and research in the areas of physical pharmacy with expertise in analytical chemistry, including bioanalysis, and further specifically related to physicochemical perspectives of pharmaceutical formulations design, characterization of formulations and their interactions with biological interfaces and their models by advanced spectroscopy and scattering methods, that also carries a strong potential to further integrate the educations provided and the joint research environment at the department.
Specific requirements for this position:
- Obtained a PhD in pharmacy, physical chemistry or other relevant discipline
- Qualified to teach in both Swedish and English from day one
- Experience in writing larger competitive research grant applications which have secured project funding
- Completed postdoctoral employment or postdoctoral stay of at least 3 months at outside your home university where you defended your thesis
Following qualifications are highly valued:
- Experience in design and characterization of nanotechnology-based formulations and their performance in vitro/ex vivo
- Experience in high resolution chromatography and mass spectrometry
- Experience in spectroscopy, calorimetry and scattering methods
The following would be of benefit for the position:
- Experience in project management
- Experience in collaboration with national and international research entities
- Experience in research collaboration with industry and public sector, understanding their needs
- Good understanding of the Swedish Pharmacy system
In addition to formal competence, University's employees must possess the personal capacities necessary to perform the duties of the position well and to represent the University in the best possible way.
All applicants will be assessed on the basis of merits and skills. When evaluating the overall skills, it is considered a merit if the candidate has completed their doctoral degree/equivalent within the five-year time frame.
According to the Appointment Rules at Malmö University, the assessment criteria for a position as Associate Senior Lecturer are:
- The quality and focus of the doctoral thesis
- Documented proficiency in independently conducting research of a high quality
- Reflective presentation of their own pedagogical outlook and practices
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate with actors in other parts of society with a connection to education and research
Professor Johan Engblom, email@example.com, +46 70 6087525
Professor Tautgirdas Ruzgas, firstname.lastname@example.org, + 46 702349580
For general employment and procedural questions, contact HR specialist Jill Moberger, email@example.com, 040-6657840
In our recruitment work, Malmö University has taken a stand regarding recruitment channels and marketing. We therefore decline all offers of advertising and recruitment assistance in connection with this advertisement.
You apply for this position via Malmö University's recruitment system by clicking on the "Apply" button. As an applicant, you are responsible for ensuring that your application is completed in accordance with the job advertisement, and that it is submitted to the University no later than 2022.05.27. The application must be written in Swedish, English or any of the Nordic languages. As an applicant, you are responsible for the application and its appendices being translated.
The rules for appointment of teaching staff at Malmö University are regulated in the Appointment Rules at Malmö University.
Merits and qualifications must be documented according to Qualifications portfolio for lecturers/researchers at Malmö University
Books and any other documents, such as publications, that cannot be sent electronically should be sent in triplicate in an envelope marked with reference number REK 2022/123 and posted to the HR Department, Malmö University, 205 06 Malmö. If the documents weigh more than 2 kg, they should be sent to the delivery address: HR Department, Malmö University, Matrosgatan 1, 211 18 Malmö, marked with reference number REK 2022/123.
According to Malmö University’s qualifications portfolio, the application must include:
- Documentation of research expertise
- Documentation of teaching expertise
- Documentation of expertise in engagement with wider society
The application must also include:
- Personal qualifications portfolio (personal data, employment history as well as competencies and skills)
- Copies of degree certificates and other relevant certificates
- The doctoral thesis
- A brief account of research, teaching and other activities relevant to the position to which the application pertains, including a description of how the applicant envisions their future research and teaching
- The primary scientific and educational work to be considered (maximum three of each)
This position as full-time Associate Senior Lecturer is, in accordance with the Higher Education Ordinance, limited for a period of four years, with the possibility of being promoted to a permanent position as Senior Lecturer if the requirements are met.
For promotion to Senior Lecturer
During the period of employment, an Associate Senior Lecturer can apply for appointment to a permanent position as Senior Lecturer if he or she has the required qualifications listed below, and is deemed to be suitable.
We expect that during the period as an Associate Senior Lecturer for 4 years you will be able to qualify for promotion to Associate Professor, and that only then can you be promoted to Senior Lecturer.
- A PhD or has the corresponding research competence or some other professional expertise that is of value in view of the subject matter of the post and the duties that it will involve.
- Demonstrated teaching expertise
- University teacher training corresponding to at least 15 credits, or corresponding formal university teacher training, which is determined through validation
The assessment criteria for appointment as a Senior Lecturer shall be the degree of the expertise required as a qualification for employment. As much attention shall be given to the assessment of teaching expertise as to the assessment of other qualifying criteria (Chapter 4, Section 4 of the Higher Education Ordinance).
A Senior Lecturer must be established within their scientific field, taking into account the nature and tradition of the subject specialisation.
A Senior Lecturer must demonstrate:
- Documented competence in the field
- Documented ability to communicate and collaborate with actors in other parts of society with a clear connection to education and research
Teaching expertise relates to:
- Documented ability to carry out and lead education using various teaching methods within higher education
- Documented experience in pedagogical development work and a reflective presentation of their own pedagogical outlook and practices
- Documented ability to link research and education with regards to both content and teaching
Scientific proficiency relates to:
- Documented ability to independently conduct research of a high quality
- Research within fields relevant to the appointment in question
- Active participation in the scientific community
Malmö University is a workplace and higher education institution that is characterised by an open and inclusive approach, where gender equality and equal terms add value to our activities.
Malmö University applies individual salary setting.
SACO, Désirée Anvir, firstname.lastname@example.org
OFR/Lärarförbundet, Carl-Erik Blomberg, email@example.com
OFR, Naser Eftekharian, firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking forward to receiving your application!
You apply no later than 27/05/2022 by clicking the apply button.