Senior lecturer in Computer Science: Game Development
Ref REK 2021/231
About Malmö University
Malmö University is an innovative, urban and international institute of higher education, located in the centre of Malmö. We have around 1,800 employees and 24,000 students. Our research and education are characterised by the role we believe a university should play in an open society — to contribute to sustainability and equality in a scientifically grounded way with external partners and stakeholders. Identifying and addressing the challenges of the future are of highest priority. Our researchers and students work collaboratively to create, share and spread knowledge in order to understand, explain and develop society — both locally and globally.
The Faculty of Technology and Society (TS), conducts education and research with a focus on technology and natural sciences, in close collaboration with industry and other social actors and higher education institutions. The two departments at the faculty are: Computer Science and Media Technology and Materials Science and Applied Mathematics.
The Department of Computer Science and Media Technology provides research-linked courses and study programmes at first-cycle and second-cycle level. The department conducts research in: Computer science, Information Systems, Software Engineering and Media and Communication Technology. Education and research are conducted in close collaboration with parties from both the private and public sectors.
We are looking for someone with passion for Game development education and research, to become part of a growing team where connecting research and education is key. This position is perfect for candidates who are creative, innovative, and motivated to excel at University level game development education. You are expected to work well in teams with the other members in the Department of Computer Science and Media Technology, as well as to develop your own research ideas with a focus on contributing to the international game research community and develop international collaborations. You will also be expected to develop cooperations with the game development industry.
You will teach, supervise and assess degree projects at basic and advanced level in Computer Science with a specialization in Game Development, as well as participate in the development of MAU’s game education as part of a teacher group.
Those qualified for appointment as a Senior Lecturer are, except in disciplines in the fine, applied or performing arts, a person who has demonstrated teaching expertise and been awarded a PhD or has the corresponding research competence or some other professional expertise that is of value in view of the subject matter of the post and the duties that it will involve (Chapter 4, Section 4 of the Higher Education Ordinance).
A teacher at Malmö University is expected to have university teacher training corresponding to at least 15 credits, or corresponding formal university teacher training, which is determined through validation. New staff members lacking this training must, within the scope of their appointment, commence such training within one year of assuming their position.
Specific requirements for this position:
Documented experience in game programming.
Documented experience in teaching and examining in English at University level.
Documented track record in Game Research.
The following would be of benefit for the position:
Documented experience in:
- Game Development Frameworks/Engines
- Artificial Intelligence for Games
- OpenGL and/or DirectX
- Game Engine Architecture
- Modelling, Rigging, and Animation for games
- Documented track record in attracting research funds.
- Documented experience supervising PhD, Master, and Bachelor students.
- Documented experience in game design and development, either independently or as part of the Games Industry.
- Documented experience in game production: roadmap to delivery, risk identification, planning, team workflow and communication.
In addition to formal competence, University's employees must possess the personal capacities necessary to perform the duties of the position well and to represent the University in the best possible way.
The assessment criteria for appointment as a Senior Lecturer shall be the degree of the expertise required as a qualification for employment. As much attention shall be given to the assessment of teaching expertise as to the assessment of other qualifying criteria (Chapter 4, Section 4 of the Higher Education Ordinance).
A Senior Lecturer must be established within their scientific field, taking into account the nature and tradition of the subject specialisation.
A Senior Lecturer must demonstrate:
- Documented competence in the field
- Documented ability to communicate and collaborate with actors in other parts of society with a clear connection to education and research
Teaching expertise relates to:
- Documented ability to carry out and lead education using various teaching methods within higher education
- Documented experience in pedagogical development work and a reflective presentation of their own pedagogical outlook and practices
- Documented ability to link research and education with regards to both content and teaching
Scientific proficiency relates to:
- Documented ability to independently conduct research of a high quality
- Research within fields relevant to the appointment in question
- Active participation in the scientific community
Head of department, Bengt J Nilsson, 040-6657244, email@example.com
HR-specialist, Sara Eriksson, 040-665 76 59, firstname.lastname@example.org
In our recruitment work, Malmö University has taken a stand regarding recruitment channels and marketing. We therefore decline all offers of advertising and recruitment assistance in connection with this advertisement.
You can read more about the benefits of working in Sweden here: https://sweden.se/collection/working-in-sweden/
You apply for this position via Malmö University's recruitment system by clicking on the "Apply" button. As an applicant, you are responsible for ensuring that your application is completed in accordance with the job advertisement, and that it is submitted to the University no later than 2022-01-02. The application must be written in Swedish, English or any of the Nordic languages. As an applicant, you are responsible for the application and its appendices being translated.
The rules for appointment of teaching staff at Malmö University are regulated in the Appointment Rules at Malmö University.
Merits and qualifications must be documented according to Qualifications portfolio for lecturers/researchers at Malmö University
Books and any other documents, such as publications, that cannot be sent electronically should be sent in triplicate in an envelope marked with reference number REK 2021/231 and posted to the HR Department, Malmö University, 205 06 Malmö. If the documents weigh more than 2 kg, they should be sent to the delivery address: HR Department, Malmö University, Matrosgatan 1, 211 18 Malmö, marked with reference number REK 2021/231.
According to Malmö University’s qualifications portfolio, the application must include:
- Documentation of research expertise
- Documentation of teaching expertise
- Documentation of expertise in engagement with wider society
The application must also include:
- Personal qualifications portfolio (personal data, employment history as well as competencies and skills)
- Copies of degree certificates and other relevant certificates
- A brief account of research, teaching and other activities relevant to the position to which the application pertains, including a description of how the applicant envisions their future research and teaching
- The primary scientific and educational work to be considered (maximum five of each)
This position is a full-time until further notice.
Malmö University is a workplace and higher education institution that is characterised by an open and inclusive approach, where gender equality and equal terms add value to our activities.
Malmö University applies individual salary setting.
SACO-S Mats Syde, email@example.com
OFR/ST Bodil Sterner, firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking forward to receiving your application!
You apply no later than 02/01/2022 by clicking the apply button.