The European Spallation Source, ESS, a partnership of European countries, is hiring motivated and inspired people to plan, design, and construct the world’s most powerful neutron source. We seek ambitious, talented people in different fields who are excited about playing a part in the future of science in Europe.
ESS can offer a variety of things, such as passionate and international colleagues, a vibrant melting pot of diversity, and a challenging, exciting and high paced work environment. We value and need expertise, innovative minds and great ways of leading and interacting with people from all over the world.
ESS is now looking for a Systems Integration Engineer for Radiation Protection group organised within the Environment, Health, Safety & Quality (ESH&Q) directorate.
The Radiation protection group is a dedicated team of passionate colleagues and experts in radiation protection that prepares and follows up radiation protection for the ESS facility. During the commissioning period the Radiation Protection group works in a flexible way; staff and activities in the upcoming years will expand according to the needs of the ESS organisation, one of them being the operational radiation protection team that deals with day to day radiation protection tasks.
As part of the Radiation Protection services team, you will be involved in the installation of ESS’s Radiological and Environmental Monitoring System (REMS) carried out by the Radiation Protection group. You would be responsible for integration of REMS within ESS’s and the Radiation Protection group’s SCADA infrastructures. You will also assist with the procurement, installation and commissioning of all Radiation monitoring instrumentation with a focus on systems communication and integration.
As a systems integration engineer, you will:
- Organise and supervise the installation and commissioning into operation of equipment for REMS.
- Write the preliminary data acquisition drivers (Python & Linux) for equipment integration into Grafana.
- Liase with ESS's Integrated Control Systems Division (ICS) to define the scope and acceptance criteria for new REMS subsystems to be integrated within EPICS.
- Manage the RP network infrastructure communication new requirements to ICS and verifying the installation on behalf of RP
- In collaboration with radiation protection, you will assist in the definition of operations manuals with respect to radiation monitoring.
The successful candidate will have a well-developed ability to listen, consult others and to communicate proactively with a high level of integrity.
We also expect that you have:
- A BSc in an engineering field related to control systems and their programming or equivalent;
- Expertise in large scale distributed instrumentation control systems and their communication principles, with a knowledge of measurement techniques for ionising radiation being of benefit;
- Knowledge of networking and industrial communication protocols;
- Knowledge of one or more of the following, EPICS, Grafana, Python, GitLab, Linux, InfluxDB, Gitlab, Ansible, Conda;
- Knowledge of Linux virtual environments and software deployment across networked machines;
- Demonstrable experience in installation and commissioning.
- Knowledge or certification in project management would be advantageous.
- Excellent oral and written English skills are a prerequisite and knowledge of Swedish would be an advantage.
We truly believe that you are able to:
- Take responsibility for actions, projects and people;
- Follow directions conscientiously, but can also provide others with a clear sense of direction;
- Probe for further information or greater understanding of a problem;
- Make prompt, clear decisions which may involve tough choices or considered risks;
- Be a role model who can consistently demonstrate appropriate and high standards of behavior and a safety awareness mindset;
- Gain clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading, influencing and negotiating;
- Adapt to the team dynamic and help to build team spirit;
- Demonstrate flexibility and a solutions-oriented approach to solving complex problems;
- Relate well to people at all levels;
Duration & Location
The position is permanent with six months initial probationary period
Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden.
The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
Application & Contact
Please provide your curriculum vitae in English by clicking on “apply” and follow the instructions. Please note that we only accept applications via the ESS website.
For some roles at ESS health check-ups and security clearance are required, and thus this might be applicable in the final parts of the recruitment process. The applicant is expected to be fit to perform the applicable tasks of this recruitment.
The deadline for applications is 10 December 2021
For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process, please follow this link https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment-process.
For further information regarding the position, please contact the Recruiting Manager, Sigrid Kozielski, Group Leader Radiation Protection, firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Officer, Karin Vandenborre, email@example.com
We look forward to receiving your application!