The Department of Technology Management and Economics, Chalmers University of Technology, is now recruiting a Senior Lecturer to the Division of Service Management and Logistics.
We are looking for a new faculty member in freight transport and logistics with particular focus on the use of technologies and analytics to improve transportation efficiency and sustainability.
Information about the Department and Division
The Department of Technology Management and Economics broadly researches the interaction between technology development, industrial systems, society, people and the environment. The department is organized in six divisions for research and teaching. Details of the departmental research activities may be found here.
The Division of Service Management and Logistics, at which the position is placed, focuses on the management, design, delivery and improvement of services from the perspective of the individual organization as well as the wider supply chain. Our research has a particular focus on organizations within four key sectors: transportation, construction, healthcare and manufacturing. This position is part of the division’s research group within Freight Transport and Logistics. It also relates to the logistics research at the Division of Supply and Operations Management. At the Division of Service Management and Logistics we conduct problem-oriented, empirical and inter-disciplinary research, with strong emphasis on industry and societal relevance and high visibility in leading academic journals. Teaching and supervision at all levels (BSc, MSc, PhD, executive) are important tasks, and are clearly embedded in research and practical relevance.
The core subject area of the position is freight transport and logistics. The position primarily involves managing and teaching courses and supervising students at all levels. It also involves participation in further development of the research group in freight transport and logistics, and its networks within academy and industry. It also requires applying for external funding. Within freight transport and logistics, a particular focus is the use of technologies of information and automation as well as analytics to improve transportation efficiency and sustainability for all modes of transport and the combination of these modes. The position involves conducting empirical research of high international quality in the freight transport networks and its key actors. The research approach requires the applicant to interact closely with relevant actors in industry and society, and to be able to communicate scientific results, to the public and industry and through scientific publications.
You must hold a PhD degree with a primary focus on freight transport and logistics, and a demonstrated ability to publish in high ranked journals relevant to the field. You must have a broad competence within the subject area, good insight into the freight transport sector and its challenges combined with a strong and distinct speciality. Within the subject area of freight transport and logistics, there is an emphasis on information technology and analytics, and its integration across various modes and/or actors in the freight transport network.
Since we have a strong collaborative research culture, we look for a candidate who can contribute to the existing research focus as well as develop new areas.
The division conducts education on both undergraduate and graduate level. For this reason, you must have relevant and well-documented pedagogical skills and we place equal importance on research and pedagogical merits. You should have completed or be able to complete within two years of an appointment courses on teaching and learning in higher education (15 higher education credits). We are looking for a candidate with a good potential to lead and develop teaching and research, to supervise doctoral students, and to communicate and manage relationships with our external stakeholders.
The position requires excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
Meritorious qualifications for the position are:
• Postdoctoral positions or correspondingly, especially at another institution or organization than where the doctoral studies were performed
• Experience of course development and management
• Academic publications in relevant journals
• Shown ability to attract external funding
• Participation in international research networks within the subject area
• Teamwork and collaboration skills to work closely and collaboratively with colleagues and external partners
• Active engagement in the wider research community (e.g. reviewer for journals, arranging conferences and workshops, etc.)
• Relevant experience from industry and/or research institutes
• Sound verbal and written communication skills in Swedish. If Swedish is not your native language, you are expected to learn Swedish within a few years.
Full-time permanent employment.
Chalmers continuously strives to be an attractive employer. Equality and diversity are substantial foundations in all activities at Chalmers.
Our offer to you
Chalmers offers a cultivating and inspiring working environment in the dynamic city of Gothenburg.
Read more about working at Chalmers and our benefits for employees.
The application should be marked with Ref 20210145 and written in English. The application should be sent electronically and be attached as pdf-files, as below:
CV: (Please name the document as: CV, Family name, Ref.number)
• Complete list of publications
• Two references that we can contact
Personal letter: (Please name the document as: Personal letter, Family name, Ref.number)
1-3 pages where you:
• Introduce yourself
• Describe your previous research fields and main research results
• Describe your future goals and future research focus
Pedagogical qualifications: (Please name the document as: Pedagogical portfolio, Family name, Ref number)
• Please use the specified format for the Pedagogical Portfolio when you compile your pedagogical qualifications. Please be aware to attach all requested documents, for example certificate of your PhD degree and course evaluations, before sending the application.
• Certificates of courses completed in pedagogy for higher education resulting in:
- Diploma in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
- Or 15 HEC courses in teaching and learning in higher education
• Copies of your most relevant publications in full format (maximum of ten publications). It is a good idea to attach the files as a PDF or compress them into a Zip file.
• Copies of a maximum of ten other publications that substantiate your other qualifications (for example, educational publications and popular science articles)
Please use the button at the foot of the page to reach the application form. The files may be compressed (zipped).
Application deadline: 31 August, 2021
For questions, please contact:
Professor Pernilla Gluch, Head of Division, Service Management and Logistics
Professor Árni Halldórsson
*** Chalmers declines to consider all offers of further announcement publishing or other types of support for the recruiting process in connection with this position. ***
Chalmers University of Technology conducts research and education in engineering sciences, architecture, technology-related mathematical sciences, natural and nautical sciences, working in close collaboration with industry and society. The strategy for scientific excellence focuses on our six Areas of Advance; Energy, Health Engineering, Information and Communication Technology, Materials Science, Production and Transport. The aim is to make an active contribution to a sustainable future using the basic sciences as a foundation and innovation and entrepreneurship as the central driving forces. Chalmers has around 11,000 students and 3,000 employees. New knowledge and improved technology have characterised Chalmers since its foundation in 1829, completely in accordance with the will of William Chalmers and his motto: Avancez!
URL to this pagehttps://www.chalmers.se/en/about-chalmers/Working-at-Chalmers/Vacancies/Pages/default.aspx?rmpage=job&rmjob=9389&rmlang=UK