Malmö University is an innovative, urban and international institute of higher education, located in the centre of Malmö. We have around 1,800 employees and 24,000 students. Our research and education are characterised by the role we believe a university should play in an open society — to contribute to sustainability and equality in a scientifically grounded way with external partners and stakeholders. Identifying and addressing the challenges of the future are of highest priority. Our researchers and students work collaboratively to create, share and spread knowledge in order to understand, explain and develop society — both locally and globally.
About the Institute for Urban Research
The Institute for Urban Research (IUR) at Malmö University, Sweden, is a newly established interdisciplinary research institute that brings together geographers, historians, economists, planners, architects, urban designers, political scientists, ethnologists, anthropologists and sociologists. Our researchers conduct research in the fields of migration, housing and urban renewal, housing, urban economics, mobilities, social sustainability, urban ecology, and urban histories, amongst other topics.
By bringing together urban researchers at Malmö University, the IUR seeks to trigger synergies between different strands of research around urban challenges currently existing at Malmö University. The IUR has a threefold aim. First, it wants to expose urban challenges in our research. Second, it wants to propose urban solutions to those challenges, which take the form of scientific interventions, practical solutions resulting in policy advice, and education. Third, it wants to engage in urban transformation through not only gathering knowledge about challenges and proposing solutions, but by playing a pro-active role in the implementation of those proposals through intense collaboration with authorities, private actors and civil society groups.
Malmö University is a young university that recently received a significant increase in research resources from the Swedish government. Its number of researchers and research activities is rapidly expanding. Malmö is located in the very south of Sweden close to the Danish capital Copenhagen with its excellent international travel connections.
Visit our website at https://www.iuresearch.se.
IUR art residency
The Institute for Urban Research (IUR) invites artists to a one-month research-driven residency between 1 March 2020 and 20 December 2020. The successful applicant will become part of an academic environment with a peer-to-peer exchange focused on urban issues of importance to the artist as well as the IUR. The IUR welcomes the artist-in-residence as an opening towards spaces and models for a creative and inclusive knowledge production concerned with contemporary urbanity.
The residency is aimed at artists with previous experience of project-based work and an interest in or experience with artistic research. Artists are expected to present their work to the public and to researchers towards the end of the residency period in an exhibition, a seminar or a public event.
Artists will receive financial support and support from the IUR staff, who will facilitate contacts with local actors involved in current urban challenges.
The IUR residencies include:
1) The possibility to fully participate in the research activities of the IUR, such as seminars, workshops, debates, etcetera (see calendar here: https://www.iuresearch.se/event/)
2) Facilities at the university:
- a desk space and library log-in
- access to studios for photography, video, animation, a workshop for wood and metal works, electronics and a print-lab at the School of Arts and Communication (K3) https://www.mah.se/english/faculties/Faculty-of-Culture-and-Society/DepartmentsSchools/School-of-Arts-and-Communication/
3) A salary (to be negotiated)
4) Reimbursements of all expenses according to agreement
5) Help with finding temporary accommodation
6) Opportunities for pop-up exhibition and/or collaboration with exhibition centers in Malmö
7) Malmö as a young city with a lively contemporary art scene with a Museum of Modern Art, a Kunsthalle, an Art Museum as well as host of galleries, both traditional and community driven.
You apply for the job via Malmö University's recruitment system by clicking on the "Apply" button.
You as the applicant are responsible for ensuring that the application is complete in accordance with the advertisement and that it is submitted to the University before 11 December 2019.
- A one page motivation letter
- A one to two page project proposal, including a plan for activities. The IUR will look favourably at applications referring to existing projects at the Institute, or otherwise concretely defined urban challenges (for a list of research projects at the IUR, see https://www.iuresearch.se/research/.
- A CV and artist statement.
- A portfolio with 5 -10 examples of representative work, primarily from the last two years. State the title, year, technique and size of each work. The portfolio can be uploaded on external website and delivered to us through attaching a link in your application.
The selection criteria are:
- the quality of the motivation letter, the project proposal, the CV, the artist statement and the portfolio.
- connection of the proposed art project to current urban challenges, current research projects at the IUR, and/or the urban environment of Malmö as a place to do art
- ability to show a conceptual and experimental approach.
For Malmö University: Guy Baeten, Director of the Institute for Urban Research, firstname.lastname@example.org
For the School of Arts and Communication: Sara Bjärstorp, Head of Department, email@example.com
For general employment and procedural questions, contact Rebecka Forslund, Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org
The position is a four week research stay, starting March 1st 2020 or by earliest convenience and agreement.
The candidate selected for this position must be able to meet eligibility requirements to work in Sweden at the start of the appointment.
As an employee of Malmö University, you are entitled to salary and reimbursements according to agreements. At Malmö University, individual salary negotiations apply.
Welcome with your application!